2013 LR4 I'm new need advice on wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandythedisco

Reaction score
@adclark, I have done some research on this topic, and have arrived at a similar solution to @sandythedisco above.

Basically, if you order 18" rims, many need spacers, however TuffAnts (tuffantusa.com) are steel rims that do not need offsets. Next, you have to decide which tire.

265/60/18s are closest to stock in terms of diameter and I hear do not lead to any rubbing.

265/65/18's rub when new at full turn lock and the height is lowered, and the spare has to be deflated to fit into the wheel well. I carry a fast compressor for air up/down, so have decided to take the risk on the 265/65/18s KO2s for the extra inch of tire - it seems quite a popular option. I DO NOT intend to cut down the frame knuckles.

I'll have these on in another 2 weeks, so can let you know then how much of a problem the rubbing is. OR others on this forum may have this info already.

HH

@Haris curious why you went with KO2's? They are also on my list. Wheels have been shipped form TN, so i need to get on on tire decision!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going through all the money and trouble to get 18" wheels, it would behoove you to also get E-rated tires for their greater load rating and (theoretically) stronger sidewalls. There are only a few manufacturers who make E-rated tires in 265/65/18, and BFG is one of them.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going through all the money and trouble to get 18" wheels, it would behoove you to also get E-rated tires for their greater load rating and (theoretically) stronger sidewalls. There are only a few manufacturers who make E-rated tires in 265/65/18, and BFG is one of them.
This must be true just based on weight. The BFGs, Ridge Grappler, and Terra Grappler G2, in their LT counterpart in 265, are all several pounds heavier per tire than their XL versions.

And I'd love to see anyone on the new BFG KM3s in 265/60/18. Anyone?

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know people love the Comps and they do indeed look great but I worry about all that unsprung weight. It has to affect the performance of the vehicle? No?

I can vouch for the Compos. I've made a 20K-mile trip to Central Asia on them, with the car more than fully loaded and through some of the worlds worst roads (Russia) and fairly challenging - though not outright extreme - offroads (Kyrgyz mountains, Uzbek desert). The wheels took all that without a squeak. My tires then were 265-60-18 Coopers, but I also have a set of 265-65-18 KO2s now (with no mods other) and they work fine, barring a slight rubbing. The spare must be deflated, though.

sandythedisco

Reaction score

That was my thought too, but i had read there is some rubbing based on the .2 inch difference...i looked back and found that its been reported that there is slight rubbing in full lock in access mode. :rolleyes: It could also be an issue off roading under flex, but with the beefier tire i am not too worried about damage. I put the order in for the E rated Ridge Grapplers and will have them installed next week if all goes well. Will report back once they are on.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my thought too, but i had read there is some rubbing based on the .2 inch difference...i looked back and found that its been reported that there is slight rubbing in full lock in access mode. :rolleyes: It could also be an issue off roading under flex, but with the beefier tire i am not too worried about damage. I put the order in for the E rated Ridge Grapplers and will have them installed next week if all goes well. Will report back once they are on.
Please DO! I've got ***** compos sitting in my garage waiting for a tire choice.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be worried about a little rubbing when full lock and in access mode (how often do you need full lock in access mode? You’ve got bigger problems if you’re stuck in access mode.). But my understanding is that the 265/65 - depending on the particular tire - can rub a bit when full lock even when not in access mode. Not that a little rubbing is such a big deal either.

I went with 265/60/18 KO2’s mainly because I wanted the option of keeping a fully inflated spare underneath, and the size seems to fill out the wells good enough. 265/65 might look slightly better, and gives you another 0.5 of sidewall if I recall. Here’s a pic if you’re curious (though there are probably a million pics of this combination)
780CB647-511E-4D95-A5CA-91A9E6490B5F.jpeg

adclark

Reaction score
@jlglr4 that looks good! seems filled out enough, thank you for posting a pic. are your compos black or anthracite?
I may just pull the trigger on black and not wait 6 weeks for gray... seems like 265/60 or 65's work based on preference. decisions... @ryanjl what does E-rated mean?

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's referring to load range of the tire. For the tires currently being discussed in your wheel thread, the manufacturers, Nitto/BFG, makes the same size tire 265/65 in two different load ratings, with "E" being the higher rated tire. It's heavier and a few bucks more than the XL range, but is thought to be stronger and a bunch of other stuff you can check out here:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM