2014-2016 Traxide Dual Battery Kit Lessons Learned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not give up just yet re the light. You may wish to send Traxide an email with a link to this thread.

Traxide is not a multinational; they take their kits very seriously and I expect that the problem you have been having has been seen before on Australian D4 vehicles.

You have done up a very positive thread, hence I think you will get a quick response and perhaps a solution as well.

Off hand, are you able to reinstall the battery covers as I was on my 3; I assume that there are covers?

I might add that per one of the jpg's one of the posts above, I put message stickers on each cover warning that there were dual batteries.

I did that as service people new to the Land Rover may not be looking for a second battery if they have to disconnect the power. I have had service types comment on the stickers so it is noticed.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stickers are a great call! I will check Amazon for some.

I was able to refit the covers. My OCD would not allow me to leave them bare lol.

I think I will take your advice and send traxide an email. I am not sure if they have developed a solution yet, as their D5 kits (same engine set up as 14-16 LR4) places the auxiliary battery in the cargo area---i am guessing to prevent the need to clear out the start/stop bits.

I would not give up just yet re the light. You may wish to send Traxide an email with a link to this thread.

Traxide is not a multinational; they take their kits very seriously and I expect that the problem you have been having has been seen before on Australian D4 vehicles.

You have done up a very positive thread, hence I think you will get a quick response and perhaps a solution as well.

Off hand, are you able to reinstall the battery covers as I was on my 3; I assume that there are covers?

I might add that per one of the jpg's one of the posts above, I put message stickers on each cover warning that there were dual batteries.

I did that as service people new to the Land Rover may not be looking for a second battery if they have to disconnect the power. I have had service types comment on the stickers so it is noticed.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put my stickers on when the word Amazon was somewhere in the Jungle. I used one of those Brother P-touch label machines to make my stickers.

The link below is to a thread on the Australian Land Rover site where the owner of Traxide often is posting. He goes under the name of drivesafe.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/l319-dis...omething-completely-different-electrical.html

When you email him, I really do suggest you add a link re this thread as it explains the concern very well.

AdventureTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke with Traxide a couple of years back, and being an Australian company where the start/stop system wasn't delivered, they didn't have much experience with it.

I suspect the LIN line on the diagnostics is the culprit - it's likely a serial bus of some sort.

Do you have a full copy of the wiring diagram you can share? I'd love one for my MY14+! I haven't found anywhere to download a copy in English online.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha nice! I do have one of those laying around.

I sent traxide and email and linked this thread. We'll see what they say.

I put my stickers on when the word Amazon was somewhere in the Jungle. I used one of those Brother P-touch label machines to make my stickers.

The link below is to a thread on the Australian Land Rover site where the owner of Traxide often is posting. He goes under the name of drivesafe.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/l319-dis...omething-completely-different-electrical.html

When you email him, I really do suggest you add a link re this thread as it explains the concern very well.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim,

I'm sure you're right. I just don't know what it is supposed to see. I.e. if a resistor or something else would trick it.

I have access to all of the diagrams on Topix, but have not downloaded them all. Did you need something specific? I have no problem digging it up for you!

I spoke with Traxide a couple of years back, and being an Australian company where the start/stop system wasn't delivered, they didn't have much experience with it.

I suspect the LIN line on the diagnostics is the culprit - it's likely a serial bus of some sort.

Do you have a full copy of the wiring diagram you can share? I'd love one for my MY14+! I haven't found anywhere to download a copy in English online.

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Michael, I have not come across your issue before and this is just a guess, but you may have disturbed something when you moved the gear in the driver’s side battery compartment.

I do not think you would have damaged anything, but you may have loosened a contact in one of the wire loom connectors.

Could you try moving them around and see if it resolves ( or worsens ) the issue.

There is no connection between the Traxide kit and the data bus ( LIN ) in any vehicle, not just Land Rovers, so while the issue may have come about while fitting the kit, it is more likely just a simple fix, as above.

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hi buyer, been a long time between chats.

That is a good idea about the stickers.

I produce and supply one with my L322 Range Rover kits but never conceded them for the D3 kits.

I will work on producing some over the Christmas break.

I will post up my artwork and anybody can copy it for their own use, or for those not able to produce stickers themselves, I will be happy to post some over to you.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The install and integration of the kit is perfect and did not cause the ECO light. My removal of the start / stop components is the cause of the light.

Specifically, it is the removal of this plug:
Screenshot_20201210-081907.png

This plug communicates with the gateway module through VBATT2, B Sense, and LIN inputs from the power supply distribution box. I tried attaching a 12v jumper to VBATT2, but ignored the other two inputs.
Screenshot_20201210-082302.jpg

I am just trying to figure out how to "trick" the truck into turning the light off lol. Otherwise, it's illumination does not cause any ill effects to driveability.

Just to reiterate, there is nothing wrong with the kit! It's my favorite purchase to date.

I think that North American LR4s (2014-2016) owners have a choice:

1) buy the D3 kit, remove the start / stop components, install the auxiliary battery in the driver side battery box, and live with the ECO light (preferred in my opinion)

2) purchase the D5 kit and install the auxiliary battery in the cargo area

Hi Michael, I have not come across your issue before and this is just a guess, but you may have disturbed something when you moved the gear in the driver’s side battery compartment.

I do not think you would have damaged anything, but you may have loosened a contact in one of the wire loom connectors.

Could you try moving them around and see if it resolves ( or worsens ) the issue.

There is no connection between the Traxide kit and the data bus ( LIN ) in any vehicle, not just Land Rovers, so while the issue may have come about while fitting the kit, it is more likely just a simple fix, as above.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick