2014 LR4 Facelift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover has confirmed it picked the lower output version of that Jag engine for its 2014 Range Rover (and surely for the upcoming, all-new 2014 Sport.) We'll see what happens for the 2014 LR4, but it would seem strange that they'd equip their flagship models with a less powerful V6, even considering the weight reduction of the new RR/RRS chassis.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover has confirmed it picked the lower output version of that Jag engine for its 2014 Range Rover (and surely for the upcoming, all-new 2014 Sport.) We'll see what happens for the 2014 LR4, but it would seem strange that they'd equip their flagship models with a less powerful V6, even considering the weight reduction of the new RR/RRS chassis.

Agreed. With the RR being significantly more expensive, why on earth would they give the cheaper sibling a better base engine?

Even if it does get the higher output engine, I like the idea of better economy and FI engines can often offer more torque very low in the rpm range (before a NA V8 delivers peak torque), but I would be very concerned about reliability on a new supercharged engine, losing the silky V8 ****** and sound, and most importantly I want to see real numbers on that fuel economy improvement.

I'm in the market for an LR4 this summer. Either I get a late 2013, or I wait and see on the 2014's and, worst case, get a lightly used 2012-2013 LR4.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sad thing is, if this were a BMW engine, there would already be a handful of companies working on a tuning map which would easily match the output of the n/a V8. If we are lucky, there will be one obscure European company like Arden that might come up with something two years from now, but not for the USA.

Supercharged power is nice, as the torque is great right above idle. There are heat soak issues with any forced induction engine, but in this application it's probably not an issue.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but once you tune you're done with the factory warranty for the engine. That's the only problem with tuning... I think BMW motors are easy to tune because they're turbos, which I personally cannot stand. I had a few and the lag and heat soak issues were more present than BMW claims. I did have two M3s which were NA. I love NA motors... never had a supercharged motor though. I'm not happy about the SC V6... if it was an option and you could still get a NA V8 I'd be fine with it. Sad times.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think some of the lag problems in todays vehicles can be blamed on the drive by wire throttle systems and in the case of automatics, the tranny programming.

TangoRed

Reaction score
Even if it does get the higher output engine, I like the idea of better economy and FI engines can often offer more torque very low in the rpm range (before a NA V8 delivers peak torque), but I would be very concerned about reliability on a new supercharged engine, losing the silky V8 ****** and sound, and most importantly I want to see real numbers on that fuel economy improvement.

I'm in the market for an LR4 this summer. Either I get a late 2013, or I wait and see on the 2014's and, worst case, get a lightly used 2012-2013 LR4.

I wouldn't be concerned about the reliability of this engine. Jaguar has had great success with its supercharged V8s with no problems, this 6-cyl should be no different. With the 8-speed transmission and FI V6 you're definitely going to see some fuel economy savings. This forum, like most things in life, is opposed to change. When the final product comes out everyone will relax.

Land Rover is making a mess of things... sad.

Why? Because they're making more fuel efficient vehicles? They're horribly outclassed when it comes to fuel economy and you'd be silly to think that doesn't hamper sales.

I think some of the lag problems in todays vehicles can be blamed on the drive by wire throttle systems and in the case of automatics, the tranny programming.

Not to mention the lag you mention is indicative of turbocharged vehicles, not supercharged ones.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the easy thing to do is to test drive the new RR with a supercharged V6 and 8-speed and see how it feels. It should be a pretty good indication of how the 2014 LR4 will feel in terms of powertrain.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me there is just something about the immediate power and sound of a V-8 engine. I just had an A6 loaner with the awesome supercharged 3.0T. So fast, so smooth, but I prefer the growl of my 4.2. And from my experience the mpg on the 3.0T was no better than my 4.2, mostly because of how aggressive I was driving the loaner car. I'm sure that driven with a light right foot, any 6-cylinder will get better mileage than an 8.

I had planned to trade our LR3 in 2014, but looks like I need to get a 2013 if I want another V8.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me there is just something about the immediate power and sound of a V-8 engine. I just had an A6 loaner with the awesome supercharged 3.0T. So fast, so smooth, but I prefer the growl of my 4.2. And from my experience the mpg on the 3.0T was no better than my 4.2, mostly because of how aggressive I was driving the loaner car. I'm sure that driven with a light right foot, any 6-cylinder will get better mileage than an 8.

I had planned to trade our LR3 in 2014, but looks like I need to get a 2013 if I want another V8.
I completely agree. That's the reason why I am going with a 2013 order. ;-)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM