2016 LR4 Coolant Crossover, Water Pump, Thermostat Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. The "y" pipe is part of the front crossover kit.

For the fuel pipe, make sure the truck has sit overnight, and then slowly remove the two couplers (one feeding the driver side fuel rail, and the other next to the passenger fuel rail). Catch the escaping fuel. Then, unbolt from the front of the supercharger and remove.

The black, hard lines going across the engine are coolant lines to the intercooler. Push the entire coupler towards the engine, press the button, and pull and twist off the pipe. Do this for all 4. You can remove the coolant hose section of the upper radiator hose that it feeds and a "T" coupler on the driver side.

Here is my thread. I hope it helps

https://www.landroverworld.org/thre...ar-crossover-and-passenger-valve-cover.42135/

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like most people just release the fuel pressure gradually and catch the escaping fuel. I pulled the fuel pump fuse and ran the truck until it stalled out to get rid of the pressure. Both methods work, but if you are going run the fuel out like I did, just do it before you drain the coolant.

A crowfoot wrench helps for access to the fuel line coupler on the drivers side.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am sure I’ll have more questions on this. Out of all the engines that I work on as a hobby, 911/930/m54/S54/m62/RoverV8, this one has me the most concerned just due to my impression from looking in the engine compartment. Love the truck just not really fond of the engine.

Jose Aguilar

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 2011 LR4 with 72k Km (44.8k miles) and I am considering an operation, similar to the one you carried out. Do you think the parts are the same to the ones you used? Clearly yoou have a different motor, but I do not know if necessarily means different parts. Thank you for you comments.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The parts are quite different between your 2011 and my 2016, but others have posted parts lists for your model if you search a bit. Thermostat is different (hotter), front and rear crossovers are different due to supercharger and only six cylinders. Not sure about the water pumps.

fireangel1313

Reaction score
Sorry to tag on to this post but I’ve recently replaced my front crossover, pump, thermostat, and fan. I have a 2013 LR4 with 127k. I noticed I still have a leak and went to investigate. I found this part of the cross over leaking...see pic. Is this a PRV of some kind? I don’t think the leak is from anywhere else. I removed the air intake manifold, which I’ve become really good at, in just a few minutes and checked and couldn’t find anything else leaking. Any help would be much appreciated!

3e1fe210d7886e55b8021627f14b170a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fireangel1313

Reaction score
Okay did some more research and found out that’s an air bleeder valve...duh! My question now is...
1) is it a manual bleeder or some kind of float valve?
2) can I just seal it up or should I buy a new valve? The new crossover pipe came with this already in it (I think).

Thanks!

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part on my 2016 is different, and I can’t really get oriented on that picture, but I assume this is the front crossover. If so, that little plug is just a regular bleeder. I’ve heard people complain about them leaking. The plug is sold separate from the crossover- in fact, the replacement crossover doesn’t even come with the part. If you had an indy shop do the replacement, they might have just reused the old one. I’d try replacing just the plug first and see if that stops the leak.

The other places to check for leaks would be your rear crossover and behind the waterpump - the oil cooler tube that goes out the back (can’t see it, but look for coolant coming from the backside of the pump). That little tube sometimes is not seated correctly and leaks after a pump change.

fireangel1313

Reaction score
Okay thanks for the info on the valve! I’ll grab a new valve and see if that works.
I found that during the install (which I did do) that the oil cooler gasket was pinched and had been for quite some time so I was extra careful to get it in there and seated correctly but it still could be leaking. The two crossover tube inlets and pump housing look good. And the rear crossover is on the to-do list.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi