2016 LR4 Coolant Crossover, Water Pump, Thermostat Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the supercharger a sources of heat? The V6s seem to have this crossover problem occurring quicker at lower miles than the V8s. I wonder if excessive heat is contributing to the plastic degradation?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought supercharged engines run a little hotter, but not sure. I’ve been meaning to ask that question myself on this forum.

Even if they run the same temp, I believe they will overheat quicker once the coolant is gone. The supercharger compresses air, which becomes hot, so it also has an intercooler to cool the air down before it goes into the combustion chamber. The intercooler runs off the same coolant supply as the rest of the engine, so once that coolant is gone (as in a catastrophic leak), that supercharger is pumping hot air into the engine. I’m guessing that probably raises the engine temp faster than a normally aspirated V8 in the same scenario.

ScottK

Reaction score
jlglr4- Thank you for the reply and the clarification. It's nice to know someone on here at least has ties to Michigan...lol. Not many LR's around these parts.

After looking on the work order the part number is LR122710. I haven't replaced the front crossover yet. They inspected it the last time it was in and said it was good condition. That being said I am going to heed your advice and have it replaced before my next big road trip. I assume its not cheap due to the supercharger having to be removed but then again nothing is on these things. Heading up to northern Michigan this weekend!

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it’s a good idea. Mine looked good as well - looked brand new in fact - until I pulled it from the block. Northern MI is beautiful. People from out of state don’t realize. I used to go salmon fishing out of Roger’s City, and we’d head up to the Traverse City side mostly in the winter. Michigan has some of the best fishing I’ve ever experienced. Living out here, it’s beautiful as well but just too many people, and fishing is just nothing like what I grew up with. Have a great trip.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently found out that LR has actually redesigned the crossover pipe (either for material or the design itself), but the dealership will only replace if a complaint is filed or an issue is reported.

It would be great if this could be confirmed by other folks here with their dealerships, possibly with a new part number.

Amazes me that LR still does not get it. Instead of addressing something like this, which has the potential of catastrophic engine failure, proactively by offering a free replace/install procedure, they'd rather wait to reach their statistic threshold before an active action is put in place. Unbelievable. I mean, this crew just does not get it.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They did redesign the front crossover pipes, but not the back. The redesign was not too long ago as I understand (maybe a year or two ago I think). I did the crossovers this summer, and the new part numbers for the front pipes are LR090630 and LR092992.

The redesigned pipes are still plastic, but they don’t have the “flange” type design they had before (looked like two half pipes glued together). They also did away with the aluminum insert that joined the older pipe system together.

Frankly, the new pipes don’t look as sturdy to me as the old ones. The joint between the pipes also doesn’t seem to fit together as tightly as the old pipes did with the aluminum, and this could be a new failure point. And, I’m not convinced the main problem has been solved, which seems to be heat degradation of the pipe where it meets the block. I know some people have had trouble with the pipe delaminating, but if you look at failures throughout the land rover and jag forums, it seems like degradation of the pipe in the “valley” is the more common problem.

The redesigned pipes look like they’d be cheaper to make, and that could have been the motivating factor here. But who knows - maybe they’re using a more heat resistant plastic. But I’m not betting on it - this will be an item I replace again at 50-60K intervals.

As for the dealer replacing it, I had coolant smell that the dealer even noticed, but they wouldn’t do anything because there was no leak in the leak test. Tested it 3 times at two different dealers. So I repaired it myself. It wasn’t leaking, but that pipe in the valley was shot and the coolant smell is gone since I replaced it.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They did redesign the front crossover pipes, but not the back. The redesign was not too long ago as I understand (maybe a year or two ago I think). I did the crossovers this summer, and the new part numbers for the front pipes are LR090630 and LR092992.

The redesigned pipes are still plastic, but they don’t have the “flange” type design they had before (looked like two half pipes glued together). They also did away with the aluminum insert that joined the older pipe system together.

Frankly, the new pipes don’t look as sturdy to me as the old ones. The joint between the pipes also doesn’t seem to fit together as tightly as the old pipes did with the aluminum, and this could be a new failure point. And, I’m not convinced the main problem has been solved, which seems to be heat degradation of the pipe where it meets the block. I know some people have had trouble with the pipe delaminating, but if you look at failures throughout the land rover and jag forums, it seems like degradation of the pipe in the “valley” is the more common problem.

The redesigned pipes look like they’d be cheaper to make, and that could have been the motivating factor here. But who knows - maybe they’re using a more heat resistant plastic. But I’m not betting on it - this will be an item I replace again at 50-60K intervals.

As for the dealer replacing it, I had coolant smell that the dealer even noticed, but they wouldn’t do anything because there was no leak in the leak test. Tested it 3 times at two different dealers. So I repaired it myself. It wasn’t leaking, but that pipe in the valley was shot and the coolant smell is gone since I replaced it.

Knowing nothing about these pipes (new or old) I can only tell you that from the mechanical engineering perspective, sometimes what you need is a flimsier more flexible part so that when cyclic loads are applied, the part sees less stress and fatigue is less of a factor.

Or, it could just be that they cheapened out. I'd have to see them carefully. I'll be doing that job on my 2013 Fall of next year (44k miles now).

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to do all the coolant pipes and hoses, as well as water pump in my wife's 2015, as I noticed the coolant was about 3/4 quart low. When I did a search on the parts list up in this thread, most parts came back incorrect for the 2015, for example, part search for "LR090630" returns the following:

"This part does not fit your 2015 Land Rover LR4Change vehicle"

At this site:
https://www.landroverpartscounter.com/oem-parts/land-rover-water-manifold-lr090630

Most of the other parts display the same fitment issue....

Tim

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I used for our 2015

Front crossover kit:

https://www.amazon.com/THERMOSTAT-CONNECTOR-RANGE-DISCOVERY-LR018274K/dp/B07XRFZ5Z5

Rear crossover:
LR109401

Getting ready to do all the coolant pipes and hoses, as well as water pump in my wife's 2015, as I noticed the coolant was about 3/4 quart low. When I did a search on the parts list up in this thread, most parts came back incorrect for the 2015, for example, part search for "LR090630" returns the following:

"This part does not fit your 2015 Land Rover LR4Change vehicle"

At this site:
https://www.landroverpartscounter.com/oem-parts/land-rover-water-manifold-lr090630

Most of the other parts display the same fitment issue....

Tim

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA