2016 LR4 Coolant Crossover, Water Pump, Thermostat Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copemech

Reaction score
I didn't remove the bracket from the SC, but instead removed everything from that bracket (primarily plastic tree connectors to guide wires). I then had to (carefully!) maneuver SC to get it out since the bracket is in the way hitting hood/firewall. I don't thing I'd be able to do this without an engine hoist.
But it's all been described before, please read this thread fully before starting the job, a lot of helpful info here
emoving/manuvering the SC wasn't too difficult really, at least it's easier to work on vs my old ford diesel. I was able to get the pieces of the backet removed and the connections on the back (at least all I thought were there). I actually purchased the harbor freight engine suppor bar but didn't need it. Plan is to remove everything again and go back at it piece by piece until I find the new leak as well as just replace the rear coolant manifold while I'm in there.

I'd be curious if anyone has used a vacuum bleeder/filler instead of just running with the manual bleed process.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious if anyone has used a vacuum bleeder/filler instead of just running with the manual bleed process.
I just replaced my radiator and used a vacuum bleeder/filler.

One go with it is all I needed. Fired the car up, fluid level dropped a bit so I added more and all was good. Next day I popped the radiator cap off and the level dropped again, topped off and I haven’t touched it since.

I’ve been monitoring temps and driving somewhat hard to try and get them to budge but they won’t.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Getting ready to do all this on the 2016. (I did the 2013 back in Dec.)

So just to be sure, I don't see intake manifold gaskets on the parts lists, so I do ?NOT? need to remove the intake manifold on the 2016?
If it's coming off it's getting new gaskets!

Or do I not understand this project well enough yet because of the SC??

Any other gaskets etc. I need to be getting for the SC?
Any SC maintenance I should be doing?

Anything else before I order up the parts?

Thanks!

Last edited:

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a vaccuum fill setup - you will need a small air compressor if you don't already have one. It's a whole lot easier than trying to bleed from the various bleed ports. Just make sure that whatever you get has the adapter to attach to the reservoir. My vaccuum setup is Astro 78585 - massively overpriced for what you get, but it has the magic adapter. The adapter just screws onto the reservoir in place of the cap, it's part number Astro 78210-06 and it's about $15 if you buy it separately.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So just to be sure, I don't see intake manifold gaskets on the parts lists, so I do ?NOT? need to remove the intake manifold on the 2016?

Thanks!
Definitely need to take the intake manifold off, and you do need gaskets. Looks like I just forgot to put it in the parts list.

Those are the only gaskets you should need. Some people replace the intercooler gasket, but it’s not a crush gasket and can be reused (even the manual does not say to replace that one).

The supercharger has a spring-type isolator in it that wears out and will eventually start rattling and gouge the sc drive shaft. When I had it off, I replaced the spring type isolator with a solid coupler. I used an eaton brand part, but there are others out there. I ordered from a guy off ebay (qualitysuperchargers.com or something like that), but just checked his listings for someone else and he didn’t seem to have any left. There‘s also an outfit called superchargersonline.com that seems to be pretty reputable and has parts.

The snout is attached with several bolts (one is hidden inside the throttle body), and RTV, so you need to pry it off. With the SC off, I removed the drivers side manifold from the sc, and there’s a nice pry point there. Snout popped right off. Whole job took about 20 minutes.

Pagoda

Reaction score

Thanks!

LR4xover.JPG
LR4xover.JPG

Pagoda

Reaction score
Opps. If useful to anyone, this is the parts list I've complied with my local indy (ignore the item (6 x hose) highlighted in yellow; only one is required.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part Number?

Up on page 9 of this thread, we are referring to part #7.
I have this in the 2016 manual shown as "Bleed pipe connection (containing check valve) and as a separate part.

But does anyone know the part number?
Or does that actually only come with the new hose?
Thanks.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the LR4 3.0 AJ126 motor has an Eaton TVS R1320 supercharger. Eaton published a fill chart for various cars listing the supercharger model - the AJ126 is not listed, but the Audi seems to use the same supercharger and shows 5.2 oz as the fill volume. https://superchargersonline.com/2011/08/31/eaton-supercharger-oil-chart/. That’s the only info I have. Maybe someone else can chime in.

The other thing you can do is extract and just put back the same amount that you extracted - that assumes, of course, no leak.
Is there a way to validate that this is the SC in my particular vehicle or do I wait until it's apart and look for the identification info? Will change the oil (if i can get it..)

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely need to take the intake manifold off, and you do need gaskets. Looks like I just forgot to put it in the parts list.

Those are the only gaskets you should need. Some people replace the intercooler gasket, but it’s not a crush gasket and can be reused (even the manual does not say to replace that one).

The supercharger has a spring-type isolator in it that wears out and will eventually start rattling and gouge the sc drive shaft. When I had it off, I replaced the spring type isolator with a solid coupler. I used an eaton brand part, but there are others out there. I ordered from a guy off ebay (qualitysuperchargers.com or something like that), but just checked his listings for someone else and he didn’t seem to have any left. There‘s also an outfit called superchargersonline.com that seems to be pretty reputable and has parts.

The snout is attached with several bolts (one is hidden inside the throttle body), and RTV, so you need to pry it off. With the SC off, I removed the drivers side manifold from the sc, and there’s a nice pry point there. Snout popped right off. Whole job took about 20 minutes.
Please tell me more about the isolator inside the SC. Location, Part Number?
Also, I continue to be confused by "snout", do you mean throttle body? And why does it need to come off?
Thanks, Dan

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA