A short trip to the forest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went out yesterday to test out the new tires and to have a little fun with my nitro powered RC monster truck (T-Maxx for those of you familiar with RC's).

We spent a few hours driving around on the forest service roads in Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Many of the roads ended up being blocked by snow but we had fun anyway.

Clicky thing

IMG_0577.jpg

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind/ size tires are you running? I think that I might need to get some 18" wheels with better tires for off-road use and those look like they'd be better in the mud than my stock Wranglers. ;-)

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using the 18" rims that I bought from someone here on the forums. Had a tire place put on some Cooper Zeon LTZ's. 285/60R18 is the size.

They are miles better then the stock Goodyears. I hated those tires so much that I got rid of them after only 15k miles and put Michelin Syncrones on for daily driving. And now I have a set of offroad tires so I'm good to go!

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm jealous. I'd like to find some used 18" LR wheels. So did you just look in the classified section until you found something?

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's exactly what I did. I'm amazed that they were listed for 2 weeks and nobody had bought them.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tommity...any issues with rubbing of the Zeons?

Also...do you post on pure-orange.net?

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far the only rubbing I found was when I was driving up that hill to get the 3 wheel action pic. The right rear rubbed a little at the top.

Never been to that website.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about on "full-crank turns?" With the rims I am using, the Zeons will rub when I'm at full turn....and if I'm in Normal or Access height the problem is worse.....but since they are off-roading only tires I'm not overly concerned.

The way you labeled your hyperlink was reminiscent of what some of the guys do on that (OSU Football) website; that's why I asked.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about on "full-crank turns?"

I haven't done any full crank turns actually. I'll have to cruise around my street in access height and see what happens.

I've labeled links as "Clicky Thing" for probably the last 10 years or so. Yeah, I've been on the net since the very early 90's. I remember when the first web browser (Mosaic) came out. It was pretty neat to see the net in a graphical format.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just have the wife or kid turn the wheel while you're outside the vehicle observing....no need to cruise up and down the street; unless you want to !

Anyway, I have the rubbing effect, but I went with a different wheel than you did and the offset is a few mm's wider so that could be a factor. Interestingly, I thought if the offset was less the inside part of the tires might rub some of the car's components (control arms?); no problems with that?

...I sort of wish I'd found LR wheels and not these aftermarket ones; but hey, I took what I could get. They look alright and they were cheap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffmac7101