Another "is this normal" question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 LR3 HSE and has 2000 miles on it. I think it's been going on but just noticed it.

Have you been in the situation that you are in tight spot and trying to get out of it by doing this? turning steering wheel all the way to one side, at the same time reverse, then steering wheel all the way the other side, at the same time forward Drive and keep doing this back and forth to get out of that tight spot

When steering is all the way either side and when I step on the gas slowly, it vibrates for short period of time like engine is going to stall. As soon as it passes that moment (ether gets some speed or loosen the steering wheel) then vibration goes away. It only happens when two things happens at the same time: steering wheel all the way + when it starts moving, either revese or forward.

Is it normal? Should I talk to Land Rover service? I hope I explained it ok. Thanks in advance - Brian

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At either extreme of the steering wheel turning, you are putting significant stress on the components. Typically, it is not good form to turn the wheel all the way. In many systems, this is especially true in situations just like your describe, idle speed, extreme angle, speed up a bit, extreme angle other way, etc. . .

Can't speak to the vibration, but some odd feeling is typical at extreme steering angles. Kind of like the sound you would make if you were at the end of some yoga stretching thing, and someone walked by and cranked on you a bit more. That kind of sound.

Airboss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, extreme stress on the power steering components. I always will turn the wheel to lock and then back off an inch or so. You can literally hear the power steering system groaning when you hold the wheel to lock, but this is the same in EVERY car that I've ever driven.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see. I will just go easy on steering wheel next time. Thanks for you guys reply. - Brian

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635