ARB dual compressor mounting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can mount the single one behind the passenger headlight using a bracket made for the Prado.

Haven't done it yet, but that's my plan.

Funny enough, I was looking at that same bracket yesterday and wondering if it would work. If Australia wasn't the only place you can get them, I might have ordered one on a lark.

I'll mess around with it this weekend. If I can't figure anything out, I may go this route. Looks like the same concept I had, though. I imagine they're using nutserts to mount that bracket in that spot.

EDIT: This may be a little low-rent, but I'm guessing there has to be something at a Lowes Depot that would work, or can be slightly modified to work. That Prado bracket isn't very complicated, and looks like something that would exist for other things (so long as you redrill some holes).

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought some flatbar from Home Depot, but I lack any tools to bend it properly, other than some clamps. I had a go at it, didn't like what I came up with (and certainly didn't think I could duplicate it well enough to make the two pieces I would need), so gave in and ordered the bracket from Kaon.

I also hadn't really figured out how I was going to mount the switch, and Kaon has a nice bracket for that, too.

Only question is how long it will take to get here from Australia.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought some flatbar from Home Depot, but I lack any tools to bend it properly, other than some clamps. I had a go at it, didn't like what I came up with (and certainly didn't think I could duplicate it well enough to make the two pieces I would need), so gave in and ordered the bracket from Kaon.

I also hadn't really figured out how I was going to mount the switch, and Kaon has a nice bracket for that, too.

Only question is how long it will take to get here from Australia.
Probably not as long as you think.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got things delivered from Italy to the west coast in 5 days. So yep. Pretty quick I’d say. Assuming customs is a breeze.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still waiting on the bracket from Koan. I ordered something cheap off amazon that could be usable, too, although I think I'd like the Koan better.

When wiring the ARB, one of the wires is supposed to go to an ignition source--something that only has power when the ignition is on. This wire activates the switch, so that the switch can't turn on unless the ignition is on. Given I'm just mounting both the compressor and the switch in the engine bay, not really sure what to wire this to, or if it's even a concern for me and if I could just wire the ignition wire in with the power. ARB cautions against this, stating that it might drain the battery. But I'm not really sure what the power draw is other than a risk that the switch could inadvertently get turned on.

Regardless, I bought some fuse connectors, so I'm eyeing fuses in the engine bay that would only have power when the ignition is on. The rear seat heater might be the one. I'm not too great with vehicle wiring, so I'm just kind of making this up as I go. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd certainly welcome them.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may be the safest approach. I wouldn't expect the "monitor" circuit on the ARB to draw too much power, but any time you can get rid of a parasitic draw on a vehicle with such finicky electronics, you probably should.

Best way you could try it out is to just put an ammeter inline with that wire to see if it is ACTUALLY drawing current at rest. Usually, circuits like this are just supplying power to the relay coil, so unless the switch is tripped, it shouldn't be drawing any current at all.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
That's where I installed my winch controller and Viair 400P. I was tired of pulling out the compressor. Anyhow, a lot of heat gets into that area, so just be aware. I made a heat shield and used gold reflective tape to reflect heat. Overall, it's not too bad.

I made my brackets out of leftover metal and aluminum bars. I'd prefer 1/8 aluminum bar for some flexibility, when the compressor kicks on. The mounting structure is based off of a 3 post and crossbar. 2 posts are for the compressor mounted vertically, 1 vertical post for the winch box, and a crossbar to secure the winch box post to the compressor post. I made sure the winch box and compressor was freestanding and balanced prior to mounting, no uneven weight distribution anywhere. I measured countless times before using 6mm rivnuts to secure the bottom posts. There is very little room left over, but it doesn't rub against anything.

Top view: the heat really melted the Terrafirma winch box metal stickers off.
20210915_131447.jpg

Side view:
20210915_131536.jpg

The post and crossbar:
20210915_131527.jpg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KOAN bracket arrived yesterday (took forever for it to get to Los Angeles, and from there it was in Kansas City in one day). Mocked it up a little last night and used a paint pen to draw where I'm going to put the rivet nuts. In terms of placement, it looks like I'm going to have it exactly where it is in the picture posted earlier in this thread as that's just the best place for it, even when I wasn't trying to copy the placement 100%.

I don't have a rivnut gun, but there are ways you can install them using a bolt and a nut (couldn't justify buying a rivnut gun for just one job). I'm not sure a rivnut gun would be able to work in the tight space down there, anyway.

Might take a swing at the full install tonight.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I don't have a rivnut gun, but there are ways you can do it just using a bolt and a nut (couldn't justify buying a rivnut gun for just one job). I'm not sure a rivnut gun would be able to work in the tight space down there, anyway.
Just do this...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72