Battery Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have 55K so I'm screwed. No big deal I guess; it had to go sometime! The truck still fires up so it's still taking a charge from the alternator. However, it lost its juice yesterday after I ran the radio for about an hour or so, so it is on its last leg.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the people that are having battery issues HSE owners or SE? Just curiuos. I'm guessing the NAV pulls pretty ******* the battery life, but maybe it's just LR3 puts crappy OEM batteries in the trucks. My HSE's battery is on it's last legs. I only have about 35K on my 2005. I've had to jump it twice in the past month. Usually, it's because I ran the radio for a few minutes after the car was turned off. 5 minutes of radio time causes the thing to just croak.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jp, I think it's the crappy OEM battery theory. I turn the NAV off most of the time...and it's just a puny little LCD, I don't see how it could draw that much power. You never know though, it could be that...I'm guessing it's a combination of the OEM battery sucking and just the overall current draw from such a highly-electronic vehicle being a burden.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would probably agree with that. We'll see how number 2 does.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always had poor luck with OEM batteries. My 2005 SE battery went bad after 2/12 years. I didn't even think to try to have it covered under warranty. I just went and bought a big Die Hard Gold and put it in. It fits, not as nice as the OEM, but it works. I had to change the positive terminal out to make it work. I have put Sears batteries in my other cars and never had to replace them for 7 or more years.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roverine, how much did the battery cost you?

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid about $175 for the battery. The new terminal and the battery came to $190.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...I have an extended warranty; maybe I should just pay the $100 deductible and let them change the battery!

...but then I'd be stuck with the OEM crap again.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...I have an extended warranty; maybe I should just pay the $100 deductible and let them change the battery!

...but then I'd be stuck with the OEM crap again.

Is the battery covered under the extended? That'd be good if so. It seems like a lot of things qualify as "wear items" and I thought this might as well.

I had mine replaced once under warranty when the car was relatively new.

I don't think the battery going dead after an hour of radio play means your battery is dead. It would on most cars, but I have had the LR3 battery drain very quickly in the same scenario, thus, I don't use it for that any more. There is just too much going on behind the dash and the battery can't keep up. Too bad, but that's the way it is.

Good luck. Let us know what battery you end up with. I'm sure I'll have to do is sooner or later. (my truck is in the shop now at 63K for the airbag wiring recall and a "suspension fault"...and I'm happy I bought the extended warranty for that one!)
-todd

Auburn92

Reaction score
mine was replaced by dealer under warrantee with 48K miles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM