Buying a used high mileage 2010 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuelly shows 12-17 MPG on Premium so that may not make the best choice for a commuter you pound the miles to. It is built like a tank and the ride is sublime so there is that. I have always found my LR3s/4s a little unstable on icy highways however. I think it is a function of their slightly narrow track and short wheelbase. My Ridgeline has always felt more planted than the Rovers. If the going gets nasty in deep snow / off road the Rover is a champ.

Rover Runner

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get questioned all the time "Isn't that an "expensive" vehicle to take off-roading? And I tell them. Nah, it was $75K when I bought it and I average about $2,000 a year in repairs. Don't even think of gas prices. It only has 220K miles on it, but it is one incredible piece of junk - but it's my junk. I pay a premium for AAA tow features and I've had to have it recovered 12 miles off a paved road a couple of times. Wait until your air suspension gives out on you in the middle of nowhere. Better yet, when you're circled by a wildfire and the only thing saving you was a helicopter water drop on you.

Now don't get me wrong, there are a certain amount of people that love adventure and excitement, and I'm one of them. My rover has some of the most stupid design flaws I've ever encountered. Like a coolant reservoir that has the temp. sensor in the bottom of it so that when it has leaked out all the collant, you don't know about it until you blow the heads. We won't even talk about the drain lines from the roof or AC evaporator destroying the ECU, radio and wiring on the passenger side.

So as they say, it's not the original price, it's the yearly maintenance and repair that kills it for the regular person. I keep all my radio and emergency gear in carry bags for immediate use if I have to abandon the rover somewhere. I've even considered installing thermite charges in the engine compartment......... but that is just a bad dream.

Make up your own mind and find a great rover mechanic. Funny thing though, back in the 70's when I ran a Series II Defender in the Middle East and Africa, the only worry we had then was to make sure that we rolled it back on its wheels quickly
ROVER-FLAMES.jpg
before the oil fouled the plugs. Best dam Rover ever made. AND THEN rover decided to sell to the civilian market, and it all went to hell.

sbojangles

Reaction score
Ended up buying a 2010 LR4 HSE with 75,000 miles with two years left on the extended warranty (I already had to use it for the water pump/crossover pipe hah).

I'm a happy camper so far! Love the ride, it's something else. Still need to find a good mechanic in the San Diego area, preferably North County near Encinitas that's fairly priced. If I can't... I'll settle with dynamite in the glove box for an emergency.

wthammett

Reaction score
I just sold my 2011 with 185K for $7,000. Honestly he was the only call I had in over two weeks but tough to sell when you get near 200K miles - good luck with yours.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I figure my 2010 is in the "drive it until it breaks and then part it out" category. Currently my daughter has taken it over.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a DIY'er, I wouldn't fear high miles, as long as there was a stack of maintenance records. But if you have to pay an indy shop, or - gasp - the dealer, that could be an expensive proposition.

Nearing 125k on our 2010, btw.

:)

charles munch

Reaction score
It doesn't help that my fiance really loves it hah trying to convince her that going Lexus is the smart thing to do hasn't been easy... Besides camping trips, I work from home so it wouldn't be driven much. I've put approx 2k on my BMW in the past 6 months so I'm playing the mental gymnastics that this won't get too much wear and tear and will stay "maintenance-free" once I have a solid baseline outlined by others above. But obviously anything can happen...

charles munch

Reaction score
That's Funny,I'm a lexus Tech. My wife is on her 3rd lr4. 2010 , 2013 now her 2015 with 75k miles on it now, all bought new. I can't get her to let go of it, she/we don't like the new disco. Test drove the new defender, it's ok but not enough cargo space. I can get into a new GX460 which will cost me 30% less then the lr4. Run Alot longer with much less issues and a breeze for me to service. but she loves that lr4. I feel your Pain!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA