Buying a used high mileage 2010 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stepping outside of the purely rational analysis model for this decision just for a second...

The fear of taking a loss on a bet is greater than the hope of making a win, even if the odds are the same. This holds true for most people and is human nature...and somewhat rational. (Prospect Theory, more or less).

If the fiance loves it and you really like it, then at least when (I almost said "if") future repairs are needed there won't be any finger pointing. Or maybe less finger pointing. But focus on the upside and the potential for many miles of enjoyment and experiences in the Landy.

Your research strongly suggest a well-cared-for vehicle with no major timebombs. There is uncertainty even for those of us who know every nuance and complete service history of our Rovers. Scratch that itch and treat yourself. The enjoyment and pride of ownership of an LR4 is something you can't put a price on. It's also hard to describe until you experience it. Of course, consider the source as you seek input from a group of LR4 owners! But you have received a lot of candid, objective advice so far, not just rose-colored glasses stuff.

I'm not up to date on used prices but given everything you've shared here, that price "feels" reasonable. My .02. Good luck!

Reaction score
So I just went through a lot of the same introspection and debate that you are having. I just bought a 2012 Lux with 98k miles. Before this I had a 2015 I bought used from LR that was totaled after a year (everyone was fine), and I fell in love with the LR4. I bought a fully loaded Mazda CX-9 And hated it. I thought I could downgrade, but it turns out I’m ruined. So know that once you have one, it’s going to be hard to transition to a Lexus later. Before I bought I did have a pre purchase inspection completed, and I actually passed on a couple of different ones after I got the inspections back. For the record I paid $15,700. I felt like it was a fair deal.

I wouldn’t necessarily be scared off if the timing chain wasn’t replaced. Especially if the service records show oil changes every 5-6k miles. But I would pay attention to how the engine sounds when you start the engine. An inspection should be able to tell you if there is something to be concerned about there. I know a lot of the early models have timing chain issues, but I’m not convinced every single one does. I also think some of that might be because owners didn’t pay proper attention to maintaining the car and take note of early warnings. Not to say it can’t happen to you or me, but I love the car and if it had to be done, I’m willing to pay that price. But even if all you do is maintenance, it will be expensive to own. Gas mileage is not that great, and I’m being generous. It’s a heavy car, which is ******* brakes and tires. Plus i recommend changing the oil every 5k miles despite the maintenance schedule. Brakes and oil changes are pretty easy to do yourself, and a great place to start if you want to save some $$$ and learn a little bit about working on cars. I say go for it if the mechanic is not concerned about the timing chain. It’s scary to become a LR owner. They have such a reputation! But I have never been sorry that I bought either of mine; I’m glad I took the risk.

Brad Miller

Reaction score
This is all great information and really helpful. I'm hunting for the "perfect" LR4 and am looking at 2012's with 80-90K on them. Reading posts and watching YT vids has helped in what to look for and lookout for. I know it's against my better judgment looking at used LR4's. Any car is only as good as it's owner has taken care of it but some vehicles are not as durable as others.

I drive quite a bit for work and it's one major thing that is causing me to pause when picking one of these up. Knowing about the timing chain, air suspension, ball joints, etc. I don't want to be doing repairs every other weekend just to keep it going. :/

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember you buy the owner not the vehicle. Original **** retentive owner from a wealthy neighbourhood is best (spend the $ on maintenance) . If you truly don't want to sweat any repairs go buy a new TRD Pro 4Runner. Doesn't have the same class as the Rover though..

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To put some more colour on it...

I purchased a used 2010 HSE Lux (74 000k kms; 49k miles) with vision package in March of 2013 for $40k Cdn . The PO had paid $86k Cdn from the dealer. So in three years it lost over 50% MSRP.

Current mileage is 178300k kms (111.4k miles)

Since that time I have spent $9 668 total in maintaining it (tires everything etc) so Maintenance has cost me:

$111/ month or $0.09/km. Converted to Yankee dollars and measures:
$83/month US or $0.11/mile.

Calculate depreciation with an estimated sell value ($13k cdn) and I am at:
$310/month cdn or $0.26/km
$232.50/month US or $0.31/mile

Total Costs:
$421/month cdn or $0.35/km cdn
($316/month US) or ($0.42/mile US)

So the moral of the story is even though I got a smoking deal in the beginning it still costs significant $$ to keep an LR4 in tip top operating condition. Figures don't include gas which is a whole different discussion.

Reaction score
This is all great information and really helpful. I'm hunting for the "perfect" LR4 and am looking at 2012's with 80-90K on them. Reading posts and watching YT vids has helped in what to look for and lookout for. I know it's against my better judgment looking at used LR4's. Any car is only as good as it's owner has taken care of it but some vehicles are not as durable as others.

I drive quite a bit for work and it's one major thing that is causing me to pause when picking one of these up. Knowing about the timing chain, air suspension, ball joints, etc. I don't want to be doing repairs every other weekend just to keep it going. :/

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was going to pile on the miles I don't think a high mileage used LR4 is what I would be looking for. Who pays the gas?

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the other hand...I've got a 2010 HSE LUX with HD package and 226,000 miles. I love the vehicle, and have stayed on top of the maintenance with it. Yep, occasionally things break, but that's true of all vehicles. Off hand I can't think of a better vehicle that can handle any road condition, is great in whatever weather you throw at it, can haul stuff and people, and is safe because it's built like a tank. To me this vehicle checks all of the boxes. I do suggest that you find a good independent shop to help take care of it for you. Just my two cents worth. Good luck no matter which way you go.

sbojangles

Reaction score
Appreciate everyone's input, lots of positive feedback even at the expense of some money... definitely seems the pride of ownership is a big draw. The ride quality is in a league of its own. But I'm going to have to keep looking for an LR4... the one I checked out ended up being sold before I could get an LR tech inspection. It's probably better this way even though it stings a bit. It'll give me some more time to save up more cash. Also, the one I was looking at had a white exterior with tan interior that was throwing me off. I'm picky and felt like I should hold out for a color combo that I like more, even if it ends up costing me time and money.

Has anyone bought an extended warranty (third party or LR) when purchasing a used LR4 with over 100k?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM