Considering used LR4, can dash trim be swapped out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoCal_Rob

Reaction score
I am new to the forum as I am strongly considering switching from 20 years of Jeep Grand Cherokees to a used 2011-2012 LR4. I have read up on all of the stick on dash kits which I have absolutely no interest in. My question: can all of the wood trim pieces (dash and 4 doors) be swapped out for black lacquer pieces? Does anyone know if the dealer actually swaps out the trim or if they are still sticking on covers? If anyone else has done this, please let me know how it worked out and approximate cost. As I will most likely be purchasing from a dealer, I want to know if it is worth negotiating a swap or if I should just go after market.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,

Rob

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would contact your local dealer and see if the pieces you describe can be purchased independently. Then you can get an idea of cost.

SoCal_Rob

Reaction score
Thanks. Will the dealer tell me if the pieces are direct replacements instead of the laminate with adhesive?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the parts are complete, direct replacements. Look them up on here... they are VERY expensive.

http://www.landrovermerriamparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215719

I had chipped one of my pieces a long time ago doing something I shouldn't have been doing... and one little piece was almost $300 bucks.

So ball park, I'd say about $2K to do all the trim without labour.

The trim is the real deal... very high-quality wood veneer.

PS - The black veneer is really nice, but it's really hard to keep clean and even the smallest sneeze in the cabin causes nothing but early-stage OCD.

Last edited:

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the black trim goes with almond leather.

If you've got black leather, I think the black trim would look nice.

SoCal_Rob

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Laszlo. Looks like it is over $700 just for the four doors. At that price, the only way I would do this is to swap with someone (or another used vehicle on the lot) that has black lacquer and would prefer walnut.

I am thinking black leather and black trim sparrky. My search continues.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Laszlo. Looks like it is over $700 just for the four doors. At that price, the only way I would do this is to swap with someone (or another used vehicle on the lot) that has black lacquer and would prefer walnut.

A swap is a good idea, not sure if you could get the dealer to do that, but another member, maybe... those with black lacquer love their lacquer. Maybe someone will tire of it and want the walnut.

kdegLR4

Reaction score
I'm afraid of the labor involved, but I would much prefer the walnut to the black in mine (white w/ ebony interior). It seems like a huge number of the vehicles ordered by dealers came with black trim if they had ebony interior. I think the walnut makes for a much warmer feel.

SoCal_Rob

Reaction score
Where are you located kdeg? I don't have an LR4 yet but I am starting to shop now. I have turned down some though for not having the features that I want, including the black lacquer trim. Let me research this some more to find out the labor involved. If I know I can do a swap, it would be much easier to find an LR4 that I want.

Has anyone done a swap of interior trim? I am guessing the door panels are easy, it is the center console that has me a bit concerned.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM