control arm bushings vs unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advice please...
Noise in front end, was told it is control arm bushings, lower
One dealer wants to replace the entire control arm unit, the other just wants to replace the bushing...
2005 LR3 68,000 mi
Which is the best way to go...

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are keeping the stock LR bushings (rather than upgrade to aftermarket polly bushings) then you would replace the entire control arm. Parts cost is a little higher, but labor is much lower.

Just had both of my front lower control arms replaced recently. You will notice the improvement.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My shop tells me he does so many bushings it is just as easy for him to do just the bushing rather than replace the entire unit...
Replace the unit 790.00
Just bushing and alignment 410.00

mrdstr

Reaction score
If the bushings are failry worn, the hole is likely no longer round, and new bushings won't fit. So you will pay for the labor to figure that out, and then have to wait for parts and pay the labor to install the new arms anyway. I would just do the whole thing, which is what I did, since I was hearing a thunk over every speed bump and was fairly sure new bushings weren't going to work for me.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this has just started in the last few weeks......

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your service guy can promise those prices, even in the scenario described by mrdstr then I say just replace the bushings and save yourself $380.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that is a good price from a dealer. Let us know how it turns out.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the whole arms. The new arms come with the updated ball joints attached already.

Rubber Cow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upgrade to the Range Rover Sport bushings...these are the same bushings used in the armored version of the LR3 and will last longer than the soft POS LR3 stock bushings.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH,, I wish I know about the "Range Rover Sport bushings" and the "armored version of the LR3' . I just replaced the POS bushings on both sides at 69k miles last weekend. Damm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72