Upper control arm prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Do you have a ball joint separator that you'd recommend? I bought the harbor freight one but it was too small, ended up doing my tie rods with a pickle fork which absolutely destroyed the old joint's boots. Plus I don't really care for the impacts on the knuckle, so would prefer to use a separator next time.
I've done my own upper ball joints and used this one from Amazon. You can rent them from Autozone or any parts stores nowadays, but I wanted my own set.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
This video makes it look not too hard. I bought the parts a few weeks ago after I watched it.

Of course, motivating myself to actually do the job is something else, as I don't really think I need it done right now.
Nice find on the video. That's exactly where I was at... It's impossible for a regular joe like myself without the proper tools to torque it down. Is there a proper tool to torque it down in the weirdest position?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I guess you have to trust your feelings and use the force.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done my own upper ball joints and used this one from Amazon. You can rent them from Autozone or any parts stores nowadays, but I wanted my own set.
Before you can use that one, don't you have to get the ball joint shaft separated from whatever it's booked to? Do you have a tool for that?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Before you can use that one, don't you have to get the ball joint shaft separated from whatever it's booked to? Do you have a tool for that?
You're right, I've always used a pitman arm puller. Sometimes there's enough tension (not by choice) that you can just tap the top of the knuckle with a medium purse (5 lbs sledge hammer), and it'll pop right off.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
From the manual for the 2016.
I have had good luck on specialty tools by just Googling the part numbers, not sure about these - I leave that to you - good luck.
The instructions are more cryptic than usual, so I assume it's self explanatory once you have the tools in hand.
From the one drawing, it looks like a bearing press kind of operation - might be able to just use standard bearing press rings.

I used a pickle fork for the lower control arm - worked great.

Capture.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV