Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool. Make a video showing that in action.
I worry sometimes that we can come across as hostile in expressing our skepticism. I think it would be great to see this in action on the vehicle, though. And to find out how much the tool costs.

t3s1a

Reaction score
I had the same dilemma. Solution: bought a used arms from ebay and replaced rear bushings, so I had complete arms on hands before taking the truck apart.
If you need to replace both bushings and a ball joint ($300/set) it might be better to replace a whole arm ($500/pc). Use oem parts only

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worry sometimes that we can come across as hostile in expressing our skepticism. I think it would be great to see this in action on the vehicle, though. And to find out how much the tool costs.

I genuinely want to see a 5 minute bushing swap. 2 minutes to air chisel and 3 mins to press new bushing in. Like I said perhaps we have all been fools for replacing entire control arms. Don't tell me, show me.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I genuinely want to see a 5 minute bushing swap. 2 minutes to air chisel and 3 mins to press new bushing in. Like I said perhaps we have all been fools for replacing entire control arms. Don't tell me, show me.
I'm a tech at a dealership. Pretty much all the techs can do them that fast. But, haven't done one in a year or so.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a tech at a dealership. Pretty much all the techs can do them that fast. But, haven't done one in a year or so.

Like I said a how to video would be appreciated. Up here every lower control arm I have replaced was corroded to all beat hell. The tech in this video cut the arm and it looked new lol. How do you deal with the frozen bolt in the rear? Every one we have had have been seized up.

Last edited:

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said a how to video would be appreciated. Up here every lower control arm I have replaced was corroded to all beat hell. The tech in this video cut the arm and it looked new lol. How do you deal with the frozen bolt in the rear? Every one we have had have been seized up.

Use a sawz all, between the frame and bushing. On both sides of the bushing.
Next bushing job I get, I'll video the process.

NorthwestDriver

Reaction score
Here’s a 3 minute of the rear bush being replaced in car:

The Sykes tool is very expensive, but I’ve seen them for sale second hand (only from UK unfortunately). A cheaper bushing tool from Amazon should work, I know I’ve read of guys using this one:

WINTOOLS 27 Pcs Universal Press & Pull Sleeve Kit Bush Bearing Removal Insertion Tool Set https://a.co/d/fe3kRCK

In the video the tech removed both bolts from the control arm on the frame side, however I think I’ve seen someone remove only the rear bolt. There is much less room to work but it’s probably a better option if the bolts are troublesome.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA