Coolant Crossover Pipe Repair 5.0 V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Latest.... Had a few puddles under the car, and had to add a few ounces of coolant earlier last week. So, I added some UV dye to the coolant and have been driving it for a few days. I haven't seen a puddle under the car, nor have I seen any glowing drips/leaks (using the UV light) anywhere in the engine bay since. Not sure what to think about that. I guess I will just continue keep an eye on it.
Drop the skid plate and check the skid plate itself. Probably get a better look at the engine too.

RoverTide

Reaction score
Gonna need some help here. Long story short, something happened while my son was driving to school. Coolant light came on as he pulled into the parking lot. I went over and topped it off with coolant during the day, and told him to just drive it home and park it. On his way home the coolant light came on again, but he just drove it the rest of the way home since he was only a mile away. I got home and the reservoir was empty. Looked with a UV light and a lot of coolant was in the valley and had spilled down the front of the engine. I don't get it... All those parts were just replaced. So now I am having anxiety trying to figure out if something deeper is going on like a head gasket. However, I changed the oil this weekend and I see no signs of coolant in the oil. Also, its not blowing smoke, overheating, or throwing any codes (I have GAP tool). As of now I have the intake manifold off and I guess I will do a pressure test again, but should I check compression or do a combustion gas leak test? I guess I will shine the UV light down on the intake valves (I just thought about that)... but, any thoughts on a methodical approach? Wife may divorce me over this thing as our garage doubles as our home gym.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think coolant in the valley meshes with no coolant in the oil and not blowing smoke. I'd focus on trying to figure out how the coolant is getting to the valley before digging too far into the cylinder heads/combustion chambers. I'd guess a pressure test would show you where it's leaking from pretty quickly.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coolant in the valley comes from the front lower pipe that bolts to the valley or the tube on the backside of the water pump; one of them has to be leaking. I used this from Amazon to pressure test mine when I replaced mine

https://a.co/d/cLMLrG7

May be a rolled or pinched o-ring, make sure you’re wetting the o-rings with coolant before inserting. Also check that you didn’t double o-ring the coolant tube for the water pump

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolant pipe on the passenger side that connects to the rear crossover with the press fitting can leak and spray into the valley.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolant pipe on the passenger side that connects to the rear crossover with the press fitting can leak and spray into the valley.
True, but there would be coolant on a lot of other stuff, not just the valley.

It could also be from the hose that runs through the valley and connects the rear to the throttle body

ugmw177

Reaction score
is your front crossover tube genuine JLR? I know some other owners that have had leaking issues with the aftermarket pipes after replacement

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but there would be coolant on a lot of other stuff, not just the valley.

It could also be from the hose that runs through the valley and connects the rear to the throttle body
In my case coolant wasn't on a lot of other stuff. I had a problem with that fitting while doing the rear crossover and coolant was all over the valley and head on the left side when I lifted the intake off. It wasn't on top of the intake, there was no sign of coolant standing in front of the truck looking down. Coolant was also on the ground but not all over the engine bay like one might expect.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case coolant wasn't on a lot of other stuff. I had a problem with that fitting while doing the rear crossover and coolant was all over the valley and head on the left side when I lifted the intake off. It wasn't on top of the intake, there was no sign of coolant standing in front of the truck looking down. Coolant was also on the ground but not all over the engine bay like one might expect.
Interesting, I would’ve expected it to blow everywhere from that joint; good to know

RoverTide

Reaction score
Found the leak.... Haven't attempted to fix it yet, as it is too late now, but hoping its the hose clamp and not the plastic elbow in the water pump. Crazy how much coolant can leak out of there.

Edit: I just realized I didn't report in this thread that the hose under the manifold was leaking previously, hence the coolant in the valley. Replaced that hose, and then this leak popped up. I swear the coolant is hell bent on trying to escape.

Coolant Leak.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM