Defect on my new 2013?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed wind noise that sounds like it's due to the driver's window not being sealed on my brand new 2013. The noise is not very loud, but it definitely wasn't there on my 2010. On closer examination I noticed that there is a gap in the inner window trim that I'm pretty sure shouldn't be there (see picture with arrow). I'm not sure if that's where the air leak is as I'm still trying to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Can you guys take a look and tell me what you think? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2572.jpg
    IMG_2572.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 44

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, dealership visit and new seal for sure. That's defective, not normal at all. :)

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh - thanks for taking a look. I wonder how hard it is to fix. I hope they don't have to take the whole door apart.

I also noticed a loud wind noise coming from the driver's rear view mirror housing at even moderate speeds and discovered a gap in the housing. I'm not sure if it's a defective mirror housing or it just needs to be popped in.

Attachments

• 2013-06-06 07.11.48.jpg
    2013-06-06 07.11.48.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 28

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey horatio8,

That does look defective. I know it is a bit frustrating, as I just noticed a slight imperfection in my 2013 I picked up last Saturday. I am currently in Boston, but I am having my dog sitter take a photo so I can send it to my dealership. Basically, the wood molding near the touch screen display is very slightly off toward the passenger side. It's not really noticeable and if I push lightly on the wood the gap closes. It's hard to describe, but you will get it when I post a photo. I tried to pop it in, but it seems like a little glue would work or something.

How is your rear top latch to close? I posted in another thread that mine is rather tough/heavy.

-David

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey horatio8,

How is your rear top latch to close? I posted in another thread that mine is rather tough/heavy.

-David
Top latch is harder to close than my 2010. Twice I thought it was closed but noticed the warning light and had to hop out and close it. However, I think it's within spec and don't see it as a problem.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Top latch is harder to close than my 2010. Twice I thought it was closed but noticed the warning light and had to hop out and close it. However, I think it's within spec and don't see it as a problem.
I agree, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the latch, but it does require a much firmer close than on my 2011. I'm assuming the air springs will wear in a bit and lubricate more to make it a bit easier.

I'll post a photo of my slight defect later.

Are you going to contact the dealership? I am with you though, I don't want them messing around too much - especially on the interior.

-David

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to contact the dealership? I am with you though, I don't want them messing around too much - especially on the interior.

-David
I want to finish the break-in period first and then I'll be traveling, but I did send pictures to the dealership to get it on record as a factory defect. I sent an email to service and my salesperson (who will be super motivated as I haven't filled out the survey yet -although I almost always give the highest grades).

I think the outside window is an easy fix or replacement, so will have that done first and see if the wind noise goes away completely. If it does, than I may not mess with the window seal if it's only cosmetic and visible when the window is open. If the wind noise remains than I'll probably have to let them work on it and hope it's not too intrusive.

Let us know what you decide. I do remember that the phone hard key on my 2010 was dead on arrival. The dealer did a flawless job replacing it, so it might not be too difficult to fix your defect.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to finish the break-in period first and then I'll be traveling, but I did send pictures to the dealership to get it on record as a factory defect. I sent an email to service and my salesperson (who will be super motivated as I haven't filled out the survey yet -although I almost always give the highest grades).

I think the outside window is an easy fix or replacement, so will have that done first and see if the wind noise goes away completely. If it does, than I may not mess with the window seal if it's only cosmetic and visible when the window is open. If the wind noise remains than I'll probably have to let them work on it and hope it's not too intrusive.

Let us know what you decide. I do remember that the phone hard key on my 2010 was dead on arrival. The dealer did a flawless job replacing it, so it might not be too difficult to fix your defect.
I agree, my defect is likely an easy fix.

Great idea waiting to bring it in until the break in period is over in case there are any further issues. I just got a follow-up email from my sales guy seeing how everything is going and telling me that they need a perfect score on the survey. I am going to reply today with a photo of the defect and tell them I will bring it in to get fixed in a couple weeks.

-David

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, my defect is likely an easy fix.

Great idea waiting to bring it in until the break in period is over in case there are any further issues. I just got a follow-up email from my sales guy seeing how everything is going and telling me that they need a perfect score on the survey. I am going to reply today with a photo of the defect and tell them I will bring it in to get fixed in a couple weeks.

-David

I'm also waiting because they'll need to test drive it to see if the noise is gone and that's the last thing I want before 500 miles are on the clock.

As you probably know, they don't get full payout on their commission unless the scores are perfect. That's why I always remind them when I give them perfect surveys. :)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also waiting because they'll need to test drive it to see if the noise is gone and that's the last thing I want before 500 miles are on the clock.

As you probably know, they don't get full payout on their commission unless the scores are perfect. That's why I always remind them when I give them perfect surveys. :)
Ah yes, that's true! My dealership is a 5-star designation, so they seem to be even more obsessed with the survey.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99