DIY Oil Change for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shocked to see a thread from 6.5 years ago hit 100,000 views! Thoroughly enjoying our LR4, and what a great online community!

Please keep posting your DIY efforts - clearly it is helpful to all!!!

Last edited:

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All that new JLR specification is for 0 weight oils. If you wish to run a thin oil in a quest for 0.1 MPG then have at it. Living in Western Canada with no block heater and cold start temps down to -30 the 5W-20 has been more than fine. This spec and the 925 Ford one was about extended mileage between changes. Tighten up your change interval and any quality synthetic of the correct weight will perform just fine. Of course if you are under warranty then you have to follow the letter of the law.

YMMV

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
All that new JLR specification is for 0 weight oils. If you wish to run a thin oil in a quest for 0.1 MPG then have at it. Living in Western Canada with no block heater and cold start temps down to -30 the 5W-20 has been more than fine. This spec and the 925 Ford one was about extended mileage between changes. Tighten up your change interval and any quality synthetic of the correct weight will perform just fine. Of course if you are under warranty then you have to follow the letter of the law.

YMMV
I'm under warranty for another 2 years on this new (to me) LR4. My other LR4 I used Amsoil in it just fine. If it were me, I'd like to run a German Castrol (true synthetic, not American "synthetic") but they only produce it in 5W-30 or 5W-40. I don't know what the effect would be on these engines with that viscosity oil, but I do like the thought of some added weight when wringing it out in mid-summer heat of the US South.

By the way, I find it odd that 2016-present Jag models with AJ126 list a "service fill" capacity of 6.5L and 'dry fill' capacity of 8L, but our AJ126 supposedly keeps the same 8L capacity for service fill. Does anyone know if there was some change to sumps or pans in later model AJ126 that I'm unaware of? Additionally, all the vehicle tables list 2014 LR4s, then 2015-2016 as separate entries under engine choices. It's something I've noticed across all oil manufacturers like there's a difference in '14 and 15-16 3.0L engines.

https://products.liqui-moly.com/oils/special-tec-lr-5w-20-1.html

Here's another oil I found from liquimoly with Ford & JLR approval.

Last edited:

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://products.liqui-moly.com/oils/special-tec-lr-5w-20-1.html
Here's another oil I found from liquimoly with Ford & JLR approval.
Liqui-Moly Special Tec AA 5W-20 is "recommended" for Ford WSS-M2C 925-A, but not "approved". The LR oil has higher TBN than the AA version:
https://products.liqui-moly.com/oils/special-tec-aa-5w-20-1.html

Interestingly, neither of these oils are fully synthetic. Based on the Liqui Moly description, it appears these are both Group III base stocks; which would be considered "synthetic" in USA but not in Europe (IIRC). They are probably fine for a 10kmi or less drain interval.

o_O

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
Liqui-Moly Special Tec AA 5W-20 is "recommended" for Ford WSS-M2C 925-A, but not "approved". The LR oil has higher TBN than the AA version:

Interestingly, neither of these oils are fully synthetic. Based on the Liqui Moly description, it appears these are both Group III base stocks; which would be considered "synthetic" in USA but not in Europe (IIRC). They are probably fine for a 10kmi or less drain interval.

o_O
No oils in America are true group IV base. We don't have that option unless you go with something like Renewable Lubricants (bio-syn Xtra) which has been regarded quite well among Audi owners. Supposedly German Castrol (hard to find these days, but says on the bottle "Made in Germany", is a real group IV base.

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score

o_O
The one I linked in my post is the LR version and has LR approval. https://products.liqui-moly.com/oils/special-tec-lr-5w-20-1.html

The AA is a different oil that I didn't include.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No oils in America are true group IV base. We don't have that option unless you go with something like Renewable Lubricants (bio-syn Xtra) which has been regarded quite well among Audi owners. Supposedly German Castrol (hard to find these days, but says on the bottle "Made in Germany", is a real group IV base.
I don't believe that is accurate. Group IV/V oils are available in USA but they are difficult to find at your FLAPS / McParts, or at least difficult to confirm as Group IV (PAO) and Group V (esters). I use Red Line in all my vehicles besides the LR4, and it's a Group IV/V base stock. Some of the high-end products from Amsoil and Motul are also Group IV/V. Most people don't want to pay the $12-$15 per quart pricetag on these oils. The so-called "fully synthetic" Group III oils available at $6-$8 per quart sound like the same thing for half the price, but they are not the same. I'm not aware of any Group IV/V oil in that price range.

Some manufacturers offer a handful of Group IV/V oils (i.e., Mobil-1) but the vast majority of current Mobil-1 products in USA are Group III. Worse yet, only a few viscosities are offered by Mobil-1 in Group IV/V; so they aren't an option for my needs. As always, YMMV, etc. A bit more info on base stocks is at this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

About the Liqui Moly AA oil, yes, as I wrote in my previous post, it is not "approved by JLR. However it is "recommended" by Liqui Moly. And yes I understand those are 2 different things. I simply found it interesting that Liqui Moly shows four different products as suitable for the AJ133 5.0L engine used in the LR4 V8; while only one of them is supposedly approved by JLR.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV