DIY Oil Changes Impossible & 2nd Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a bit more info on the oil change situation. I was at the dealer today for some wipers(some idiot left the auto on when going through the car wash, and there were no survivors) and my sales guy was there telling me how my LR4 was the first oil change they have done with the suction system. i mentioned that it ticks alot of DIY'ers off. He then mentioned that even the oil made by Castrol is specifically for the LR4 engine and CANNOT be purchased anywhere else but the dealerships. Just passing it on!!

john

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, Bullsh*t, but interesting. I'd think it highly unlikely that a company like Castrol could be enticed into blending and packaging a unique type of oil for one single low production vehicle. But yeah, it sounds better than "the dealers are getting ****** that they are losing so much coin on their ridiculously priced oil changes that they better put an end to the DIY'er"

MikeLi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BMW's M classes all use a special blend Castrol that can only be brought by a dealer. They usually go for about 10-15 bucks a quart.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey , new guy here.

I can confirm that the oil is Castrol SLX 5w-20 that has been specially made for all the new 5 liter Land Rover and all 5 liter Jag motors, and is currently only available from the dealer. It's about $7 a quart.

I have now done an oil change on my 2010 full size Range Rover S/C and will soon be doing one on my LR4 and I can say it's the cleanest, nicest oil change on the planet. As Rover 7777 said, there is a tube that runs inside the oil fill tube for suction. the hardest thing is finding the correct size cap socket for the cartridge filter. I think it was 90mm and my dealer ended up getting me one from (I think) MAC Tools. The refill is 8 liters, but the oil comes in quarts, so you will need to put ~ 8.5 quarts in.

Oh, about the filter... The LR filter is $45 !!! but the identical Jag filter is $25. which is still very high. I am doing changes at 1000mi. then at 5000mi. and then every 5000 thereafter.

This is the suction pump I use, which I have been using on several cars for years (through the dipstick)- with one exception. On my '08 LR3, I never could get the suction hose to the bottom of the oil pan. The windage tray must have been an odd shape.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CB0Q8wIwAw#ps-sellers

Cheers,

Bill

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BMW's M classes all use a special blend Castrol that can only be brought by a dealer. They usually go for about 10-15 bucks a quart.

Well there ya have it, but I put dino oil in my M5 as well.
BMW also makes a special motorcycle oil, use "regular" there too.
Ahhh the sweet bliss of ignorance :) I would virtually guarantee you that your special dealership oil is the same as a retail oil that you can buy, but with a different Part# on the bottle.

Last edited:

marcoVU

Reaction score
Just bought an LR4 in early February and love it. I love it so much, I have driven it about 4,000 miles so far. I am planning on doing an oil change this upcoming weekend and have a question as to where the oil filter actually is. I looked in the engine bay, but couldn't find it. I lifted the engine cover, but didn't see it. I only looked around a few minutes, so I could have easily missed it. Is there a picture of this bad boy or can someone tell me where this thing is?

Thanks.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck changing it yourself. The new LR4 has a completely different oil set up. You can't drain it like a normal engine. It sucks. . .litteraly. You have to suck it out thru the dip stick more or less. Filter used to be in front, bottom middle of the engine. You can see it a bit from the top on an LR3. Take the engine covers off the bottom and you can see it real good. . .again, only on the LR3.

marcoVU

Reaction score
schafari, thanks.

I read about the bastardization that Land Rover decided to go with. I just went out to the car (just got back from work) and took some pics of what I believe to be the oil filter.

The last car I had was a BMW and I never changed the oil since it was always under warranty, but before that I had an e46 BMW and had to use a 36mm socket to take the oil filter cover off. So, I believe this is a similar canister style, but I need an oil filter removal tool, which i need to buy.

Anyway, is this the piece I am going to have to remove to replace the oil filter?

Attachments

• 4455761186_882a9e1185_m.jpg
    4455761186_882a9e1185_m.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 294

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just trying to confirm that the first oil change is scheduled to happen around 12 months/15000 miles? I have asked the dealer more than once, and they always tell me yes.

I see some of you are changing it before then. Not trying to offend here, but should I be more ****/obsesive compulsive about the engine and oil changes?

Rob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV