Driving lights question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BushRover

Reaction score
I am thinking about putting on the land rover driving lamps on my lr4 but I could get some nice Hella lights much cheaper anyone have thoughts or recommendations? Also anyone know what is the diameter of the LR driving lamps? Another thing, these would be attached to the LR protection bar

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about putting on the land rover driving lamps on my lr4 but I could get some nice Hella lights much cheaper anyone have thoughts or recommendations? Also anyone know what is the diameter of the LR driving lamps? Another thing, these would be attached to the LR protection bar

Go with the Hella's, likely compact 4000's. The LR ones are cheap, plastic and 50w. For less money, you upgrade to a metal housing with at least 100w. Only concern may be spacing depending on the bar you are mounting to (front/back, side to side).

BushRover

Reaction score
Thanks - I am attaching them to the OEM LR protection bar. So do you think I need to buy the LR driving lamp attachment kit or can I just buy the HELLA kit?

ThePecker

Reaction score
You could wire aftermarket lights with an aftermarket harness, however if you have the OEM harness (and therefore the OEM button) it is pretty easy to wire hella lights into the OEM harness. No splicing, you'd just need to feed the wires from the hella lights into connectors that match what's on the OEM harness

There are a couple holes on the back of the protection bar with threads (either 8 or 10 mm, I forget) which you could use to mount lights, but I'm not sure how strong this would be, considering the OEM lights are supported by stands that are mounted directly to the metal bumper.

It would be expensive just to use the OEM harness and mounting bracket to swap out those lights for hellas, but maybe worth it...

BushRover

Reaction score
Thanks for the information everyone! Once installed will post pic!

Subman574

Reaction score
Interested to see how you make out. My LR4 is brand new (600 miles)...VERY much want and new additional lighting to keep from hitting moose...am a little leery of putting anything aftermarket on it while still under warranty, but if the Hella lights are that much better I could be convinced.

BushRover

Reaction score
Were you thinking about putting on the driving lamps onto the protection bar or directly onto the bumper? After doing some more research, it looks like the LR OEM protection bar is more for looks rather than actually providing protection. So now I am torn between actually installing it on the bumper or actually getting the protection bar cause there doesn't seem to be any good bull or protection bars out there for a LR4- thoughts?

Subman574

Reaction score
Agreed that the OEM item is not very robust and probably offers only minimal protection. Been following the other thread discussing ARB's probable release of a true bull bar for the LR4. I'll want to look at that.

Interestingly I had the parts guys at my dealer price out some things I am interested in, including the winch. He tells me that the LR Driving Lights are not compatible with the winch...not sure why...

So - lots of things to consider. The only thing I've committed to is the waterproof seat covers; at least that was an easy call.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you thinking about putting on the driving lamps onto the protection bar or directly onto the bumper? After doing some more research, it looks like the LR OEM protection bar is more for looks rather than actually providing protection. So now I am torn between actually installing it on the bumper or actually getting the protection bar cause there doesn't seem to be any good bull or protection bars out there for a LR4- thoughts?

What about the ARB bumper? It is coming out in 1-2 months in the US.

I would just purchase the kit and splice it into the factory harness. Use weather pack connectors though if going the splice route.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM