Dual battery setup...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished my install last week. Nice to have the two "always on" outlets.

Install was pretty straight forward, just a couple little snafus. 1) there is no unused grommet in the firewall as indicated in the instructions. No big deal, I ran the cables through a grommet that had a wire loom already installed. 2) The cable from the aux battery to the main battery could have been a few inches longer to make the install easier, but it worked.

Seems to be working as advertised...I'm very pleased with the product.

Could you give more details on the cable run for the always on outlets? How were they run from the firewall to the rest of the vehicle? (under carpet, under the vehicle, etc...)

I really want "always on" outlets, but am also trying to gauge the pain in the ass factor of running the wires. (how much interior body panels did you have to pull and such...)

Thanks! From everyone it sounds like a clean install...but maybe you guys are much more handy than I am. I know once I get my truck pulled apart for an install I always think "I should have paid somebody to do this." LOL But then I'm happy when its done...

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 SE...auto. There aren't any manuals here in the USA

It was tight...but it works. Another inch or two would have been nice.

Hi madtownrover, I’ll take your suggestion on board and add 2 inches to the battery to battery cable on our Left Hand Drive versions.

Cheers and thanks.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you give more details on the cable run for the always on outlets? How were they run from the firewall to the rest of the vehicle?

Actually, very easy once you get through the firewall. Remove the dead pedal (two bolts) couple of kick panels (about 4 snap in clips), the sill cover (about seven clips), lower b pillar cover (2 clips) and about three screws on the tailgate flap.

Routing is very easy, there is a channel in the door sill that is tailor made for the cable. Easiest wire routing I've ever done.

Two other suggestions:

1) put a bit of lubricant (I used liquid hand soap) on the cable when you pull it through the firewall grommet.

2) Inside the auxiliary battery box you'll find a white plastic "wire loom clip" in the location the control unit is supposed to be mounted. Remove the clip (it isn't used, and just twists out) before mounting the control unit.

Honestly, very easy and good instructions.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi madtownrover, I’ll take your suggestion on board and add 2 inches to the battery to battery cable on our Left Hand Drive versions.

Cheers and thanks.

Good idea...it's not much, but will make the routing a bit less "stretched". Nice product, great customer support...thanks!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the Optima D34 fits perfectly? Does the plastic cover fit okay?

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed this kit a while back and did have problems with my primary battery (one of the reasons I bought the kit). When the main battery finally died, the aux battery automatically kicked in to start the car. A great kit, which given my luck with batteries gives me piece of mind when traveling.

How did you know the main battery was dead? Is there a sign or symptom that says 2nd battery automatically kicked in? such as delayed start or something? - Brian

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the beefier dual battery setup that has a charging circuit to the back of the truck? I'll likely go this route and have the dual battery up front, but the "80" part also provides a charging circuit to the back of the LR3. I can then have a third deep cycle in the back as needed. Even if not needed, I'll have a high current circuit at the ready.

Has anyone run this way?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo