Fresh off the boat - Getting tired of rentals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Team - This is a great forum and I wanted to add my situation to the mix.

All you die harders out there feel free to slap me around - I'm just putting this out there.

I am a very recent English import to Colorado, I've brought with me my wife (German) and little boy Johnny and we're settling in nicely. Part of the move of course requires buying a new vehicle - I've looked at many. In terms of requirements I am going to need space for the family (we hope to expand further) and space for gear (bikes, ski equipment etc). I will be heading up I 70 into the mountains very regularly but I'm never going to need a snorkel or do any serious rock climbing in the new wheels - Snow and the occasional dirt track only is my best guess. Also, I'm not really interested in one of the many AWD V6's that are out there (I like 300+ HP) and so I've arrived at a shortlist.

New Cherokee V8 45K$ - Not "precious" ( rugged ) and will probably do the job nicely although we may outgrow it when/if baby number 2 comes along - Seems like a good vehicle especially after the recent refresh.

New LR4 58K$ ish - Classy, composed, lots of space, not too many of them around and of course has the reliability question hanging over it but just a great set of wheels all round.

New GL450 68K$ ish - I Don't know too much about this vehicle but it drives well, everything works, has lots of space but the interior may get destroyed when Johnny starts to reach 2 years of age!!

And as an outside bet perhaps a RR SC (maybe a low mileage 2 yr old model)

I am leaning towards the LR4, My question is to all of the people who were undecided on this forum then took the leap and decided to buy - How do you feel about your purchase now after several months driving and a few thousand miles?

Thanks all and great insight by the way - Good Luck and keep up the great work.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've had my LR4 for about 8 months and love it dearly. Before I bought it, I drove everythign out there as many formaum members did. The LR4 represented the best value, style and luxury out of all the trucks I drove. I didn't have a chance to drive the new Jeep, but it was rulled out as I have three teenagers and needed to have 3 rows of seats.

I have had a few small issues with mine, but even poor service expieriences have not kept me from loving the LR4.

The only other truck I really considered strongly was the GL550. In the end, it was just too expensive to justify when the LR4 is this good.

There have been lots of great discussions just like the thread you have started here. I would look at some of the other threads that are only a few months/weeks old. It will have a lot of comprehensive information.

If you need specifics, just ask what you need and I am sure someone will answer.

Good luck and welcome to the USA.

Rob

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You live in Colorado. The GL will become a disappointment once you become comfortable with more advanced off-road trails in the mountains. The Jeep can handle the trails but if you want to bring along friends (or Johnny wants to bring along friends) the jeep can quickly become cramped. We looked at the 4Runner and the Pathfinder but the functionality of the LR4 is beyond compare. We have always owned Japanese cars and were concerned about maintenance, but have fallen in love with the LR4. We have a great local dealer and even though we haven't had to pay for one of those $100+ oil changes yet the maintenance will definitely be worth it for the space and capability that makes this a car without peers.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an LR3 owner for 6 years, you can't go wrong with those, either. Later years seemed to work out the bugs, although my '05 LR3 still runs great, looks great, and has 119k miles on it, many of them hard offroad miles in Colorado and Utah. Just know that any luxury high performance vehicle will require more service. Yes, it is an SUV, but it has performance capabilities far beyond the average SUV. So if you go in with eyes open, then you will be less surprised when some additional work will be needed. I can't part with mine. Just spent a weekend in Anza Borrego, and it ran flawless.

Reaction score
Guys - Just placed my order - Silver HSE Lux - Should pick it up next week
Thanks to all who contribute here, i'll update once ive had her for a few months or so
Good driving to you all !!!!!

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys - Just placed my order - Silver HSE Lux - Should pick it up next week
Thanks to all who contribute here, i'll update once ive had her for a few months or so
Good driving to you all !!!!!

That rocks! You're going to love it.

Reaction score
All - LR4 HSE Lux Silver on Black
Just to say this has been an amazing purchase for me. I love this vehicle, just can't imagine ever selling it. Class, comfort, quality - I never thought I would ever say that about a Land Rover.
Oh and Im loving these so called "leaked" pictures of the new vehicles in the pipe (not that I would trade mine in of course ;-) )
Ski season has begun - enjoy the holidays everyone !!!!

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! Good to hear you are loving it. They truly are easy to love and what a pleasure to drive. I have some sports cars and motorcycles and I always find myself looking back at them as I walk away after parking. My LR4 is the FIRST suv of many that I've owned that I've ever found myself doing the same thing with. Small I know, but that speaks volumes to me! Enjoy the snow season and your "new" home in Colorado.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats! You will love your LR4, I love ours and so do my wife and daughter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99