Front windshield electric defroster distortion at night

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rover11

Reaction score
My daughter is the proud owner of a 2011 LR4. I am really impressed with the workmanship and quality inside and out. I hope it stands the test of time because I have heard both good and bad about Land Rover . I drove her truck at night for the first time and noticed when coming across any kind of light street lights , uncoming traffic you could see the tiny defroster lines in the front window reflecting in the light. I haven't said anything to her yet because I don't want to bring it to her attention. She just picked up the truck so i was thinking maybe when the dealer detailed it wax got on the window. Has anyone noticed the same problem . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ira

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you just become accustom to the lines in the windshield and don't notice them as much after time. I have heard of people replacing their windshields because it bothered them but then you only have the standard defroster and not the additional electric defroster for the front windshield

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it annoying as well at night. I already have issues with glare at night, which is why it's one of the few times when I wear my glasses. (They are a very light prescription - the anti-glare is what I really wear them for.)

Personally, I think it's a pretty stupid design. Years ago, I remember Fords & Lincolns with electrically heated windshields, and they had no lines in the glass. Those windshields just had some type of coating that you could see reflecting a gold color from the outside. From the inside, you saw nothing. Saab also had something similar.

It surprises me that LR's design is actually legal. My salesman told me that he's had a few customers who have had their windshields replaced with non-heated versions. I won't go that far, since my wife is the primary driver of the truck, and the lines don't seem to bother her. (And I'm not pointing them out.)

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same windshield and don't really notice it unless I'm looking for it and I have very bad eyes with an astigmatism. I guessing she will get use to it.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first I used to notice it but I quickly got used to it. Now I wish my other cars had the wires in the windshield. This has proven to be very useful in cold icy winters of new England. Went on a ski trip last year and we had to drive through a snow storm/freezing rain storm. The people going up with us had a Mercedes R350 and they had to stop every few miles to clear the windshield of ice. I had no problems with ice buildup what so ever! I am glad that LR put these wires in there. That said, if I lived in an area where there is no snow/ice, And the wires bothered me, I would replace the windshield.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I read stuff on here about lines in the windshield I had to look for them. I don't normally notice unless I actively lok for it. No issues at night so far.

Rover11

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your opinions. I won't say anything to her unless she brings it up and then if she does I will let her read all your comments. Safe driving !

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems the heater wires bother passengers more than me. My eyes are focused further down the road and I seldom notice them.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was distracted...its not nearly as bad now...you get used to it. Its worse at dark when it rains i notice

wvlr

Reaction score
Purchased my LR4 four months ago and noticed it immediately when driving home (funny that I never picked up on it during multiple test drives). In daylight, noticed distortion on highway signs. Initially thought it was something to do with polarized lenses in my sunglasses, but when I switched to my regular glasses, still had the same problem. Even worse at night with a starburst effect from any light source (headlights, street lights, traffic signals). So far, that's the only thing I'm not in love with about the vehicle.

Took a while, but eventually got used to the daylight issues (although I notice lines if there's a light background, like a gray sky or snow). Still have some issues at night -- getting used to it, but still feels like driving with dirty glasses on. I'm also surprised this is not considered a safety issue (especially at night).

Where I live, I appreciate the heated windshield in the winter, but it's only a matter of time before I get a big rock to the windshield, and when I have to replace it, will probably go for a standard one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99