Hard Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOl you have to stay off the interwebs... It breeds paranoia!

Rene Koesler

Reaction score
ktm525 you are so right. I've had four LR's since the 90's, currently driving a '16 LR4, and only one was a POS but it made me paranoid. My last three Rovers have been very good, reliable, and dependable but I'm still on "edge" every time I get in the LR4 to go somewhere. Is it gonna screw me and leave me stranded? I've also had both Mercedes' and Toyota's alongside the LR's and they've been less dependable than the LR's (except the POS) but they don't worry me at all when I drive somewhere. Why? And if you read the LR forums and see all the problems, real, or imagined that can or could happen, the fear and paranoia get's even worse.

LR4FoxsSake

Reaction score
@Cthehentz How attached are you to your wife? lol.

I love my LR4 even though I just dished out some $$$$ for the timing chain, new cylinder head, water pump... I still have the support of the family as they all love it as well. Admittedly, I am hard-pressed to pick and choose where I would drive it for reasons posted above. I live in Minneapolis and we tend to go North and West for travel. There are no dealers or even indy's that I would trust should something happen on the road. Completely different when you are talking about Jeep and Toyota brands. Several up North and in North Dakota and Montana - and all over.

I had a 2003 Discovery and it was fairly reliable, had to do the head gaskets a couple of times and the 3 Amigos were on for the last 30K miles I owned it with no impact on drivability. I suffer from check engine light anxiety as much as the next LR owner and hate to even switch the ECO mode off in the LR4 since a yellow light illuminates on the dash and for a brief moment causes me to twitch.

The only (and I mean only vehicle) I would sacrifice the LR4 for would be this unicorn (FJ55 - Iron Pig) - I have only seen a few in my life but love the utilitarian styling. In the meantime, I will work to save the money to make the LR4 look close to this...

iron_pig.jpg

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Cthehentz How attached are you to your wife? lol.

I love my LR4 even though I just dished out some $$$$ for the timing chain, new cylinder head, water pump... I still have the support of the family as they all love it as well. Admittedly, I am hard-pressed to pick and choose where I would drive it for reasons posted above. I live in Minneapolis and we tend to go North and West for travel. There are no dealers or even indy's that I would trust should something happen on the road. Completely different when you are talking about Jeep and Toyota brands. Several up North and in North Dakota and Montana - and all over.

I had a 2003 Discovery and it was fairly reliable, had to do the head gaskets a couple of times and the 3 Amigos were on for the last 30K miles I owned it with no impact on drivability. I suffer from check engine light anxiety as much as the next LR owner and hate to even switch the ECO mode off in the LR4 since a yellow light illuminates on the dash and for a brief moment causes me to twitch.

The only (and I mean only vehicle) I would sacrifice the LR4 for would be this unicorn (FJ55 - Iron Pig) - I have only seen a few in my life but love the utilitarian styling. In the meantime, I will work to save the money to make the LR4 look close to this...

View attachment 10444

The unicorn is timeless, with mechanicals out of the way I'll start to add to the LR4.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have an LR3 and RR as well and my wife keeps wanting a Jeep as a potential summer convertible replacement, but it's hard to justify the price these days. Even if they have made all the improvments with the JL, it is still a relatively "crude machine" when compared to Land Rovers. I think I would rather spend half the price on a restored classic Bronco or Scout or something and at least have some cool factor for some summer air...

I know a few FCA dealer service managers. Want to know what they do when I talk with them? Complain about how hard it is to stop water leaks in jeeps. Of course I live in a rainy climate, but something to consider.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the wife has been pushing me to buy a new jeep, something I have always wanted and dreamed about owning until I drove a few the other day to only realize I am older, spoiled and love my LR4. I still have my LR3 and wife's RR so the struggle wouldn't be as bad BUT I love this LR4. I decided to just take her down and have the timing system replaced, all cooling components, pcv valves replaced and anything else they find. one of those $$$$ days but slot cheaper then $45k.

Was it needing all that done?

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it needing all that done?

Actually no, after seeing videos and reading about others having it done or failures and mine being a 2011 I figured it's time and it's paid off. Since I am having the timing parts replaced and the cooling system has to be removed I told the shop just replace everything now including rear cross over and pcv valves.

PoppyAnn

Reaction score
Well the wife has been pushing me to buy a new jeep, something I have always wanted and dreamed about owning until I drove a few the other day to only realize I am older, spoiled and love my LR4. I still have my LR3 and wife's RR so the struggle wouldn't be as bad BUT I love this LR4. I decided to just take her down and have the timing system replaced, all cooling components, pcv valves replaced and anything else they find. one of those $$$$ days but slot cheaper then $45k.

A few years ago my ex was going on about getting a jeep she was driving a very nice Volvo estate and I was driving a isuzu trooper so we went for a test drive on a very nice looking jeep we took it out for a test drive and I had only been driving for a minute when my ex said come on give it a bit more throttle and I said my foot was on the floor and that it has no more to give we turned round and returned to the dealer when we were back the sales guy came straight to us asking if there was a problem as we were due to keep it for the day I said yes there is a problem and they better get an engineer out to take a look at it as it wouldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding he said that he knows it is working correctly as he had been driving it for the last few days I asked him to come out in it to see if it was still the same so out we went with him driving I asked him to open it up to see what it was like so he put his foot down and slowly it picked up a bit of speed he said that it was working great we returned to the dealership and I said come out with me to see the difference between the jeep and the trooper the jeep had a 4.2 litre engine and the trooper had a 3.1 litre engine I pulled out onto the main road and put my foot down and the trooper jumped up pushing us back in our seats and said this is how the jeep should be or even more powerful as it has the 4.2 engine he replied that the jeep has all the emission control system that the USA requires which is why the jeep is so under powered he said if my trooper was in the USA it would be the same it appears that the USA has to have much larger engines to try and get the same performance that we in Europe get from a much smaller engine.

I hope that you are getting one with enough power to give a decent performance from, I know that I would never have a vehicle that performs like that Jeep did what is the use of fitting a large engine to set it up with the same performance as a much smaller one all you are getting is a nice looking vehicle that acts like a golf cart.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago my ex was going on about getting a jeep she was driving a very nice Volvo estate and I was driving a isuzu trooper so we went for a test drive on a very nice looking jeep we took it out for a test drive and I had only been driving for a minute when my ex said come on give it a bit more throttle and I said my foot was on the floor and that it has no more to give we turned round and returned to the dealer when we were back the sales guy came straight to us asking if there was a problem as we were due to keep it for the day I said yes there is a problem and they better get an engineer out to take a look at it as it wouldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding he said that he knows it is working correctly as he had been driving it for the last few days I asked him to come out in it to see if it was still the same so out we went with him driving I asked him to open it up to see what it was like so he put his foot down and slowly it picked up a bit of speed he said that it was working great we returned to the dealership and I said come out with me to see the difference between the jeep and the trooper the jeep had a 4.2 litre engine and the trooper had a 3.1 litre engine I pulled out onto the main road and put my foot down and the trooper jumped up pushing us back in our seats and said this is how the jeep should be or even more powerful as it has the 4.2 engine he replied that the jeep has all the emission control system that the USA requires which is why the jeep is so under powered he said if my trooper was in the USA it would be the same it appears that the USA has to have much larger engines to try and get the same performance that we in Europe get from a much smaller engine.

I hope that you are getting one with enough power to give a decent performance from, I know that I would never have a vehicle that performs like that Jeep did what is the use of fitting a large engine to set it up with the same performance as a much smaller one all you are getting is a nice looking vehicle that acts like a golf cart.

Jeep hasn't used the 4.2 since 1990.

My 2012 JK accelerated as good or better than my 5.0 LR4. Hardly anybody makes slow vehicles anymore. In fact, I'd opine that a lot of vehicles are overpowered for what they are.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV