IID tool question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a question with iid tool. So I’ve noticed there’s an insane difference from the $2,100 iid tool and the $500 iid tool. I would like to buy the $500 but I need it to be able to remove the tpms feature when I get 18 inch rims in September and I’d also like to raise the suspension an inch and a half I ove normal hight. Am I able to do simple things like this and enable or disable features or do I need the super expensive one. The price difference is so dramatic to the point where I feel like I’m missing something.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy, fellow Pasadena resident. :) The difference between IIDTool Pro (the $2k+ unit) and the "regular" IIDTool BT ($500 or so) is that the former is not locked to a specific VIN, so it can be used - in theory by an independent mechanic, the customer the Pro was designed for - on any supported Land Rover vehicile model and model year without restrictions. The cheaper one you want as an owner (the $500 unit) does everything the Pro can do, but it will only work with your LR4 once you "lock it" to your specific VIN with Gap Diagnostic during the tool's registration process. That's really the only difference, plus updating the firmware of the Pro model costs money (again, because that tool is designed for LR independent garages as an alternative to other diagnostic systems that use the same software or firmware "subscription" model to keep up-to-date), while firmware updates on the regular IIDTool BT are always free - you pay for the updates when you buy the unit. Features-wise there is no difference. If you ever sell your LR4 and buy another Land Rover model that's supported by the tool, you can keep it and pay GAP a small fee to switch the license to the new vehicle's VIN.

Last edited:

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fyi, I just ordered my gap iid tool last week from lrparts.com

Received it in a few days, and it was $400 after shipping. The exchange rate is better than usual from £ to USD and they have it listed on their site for only £291

https://www.lrparts.net/catalogsearch/result/?q=Iid

Lrparts doesnt do a good job telling you which version is for which truck, but cross reference the model # from lrparts to other websites and you'll get the info you need

EDIT: dont buy it from LRparts. they are apparently selling the old non-bluetooth version. which by itself wouldn't be a big deal. but when updating the firmware on the device, it bricked. GAP-diagnostics has confirmed this.

They have given me an option to exchange it for a replacement device, but it wouldn't have current features since its no longer supported.
or
pay an additional $175 to upgrade to the new one. In the end, it would be more costly to upgrade, than it would have to purchase the new one from the start.

Last edited:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that’s great to hear thanks for going into detail I appreciate that. Nice to also know I share this California state with someone else on this form who owns an lr4. Are you up in northern or down in Southern California like me.
Howdy, fellow Pasadena resident. :) The difference between IIDTool Pro (the $2k+ unit) and the "regular" IIDTool BT ($500 or so) is that the former is not locked to a specific VIN, so it can be used - in theory by an independent mechanic, the customer the Pro was designed for - on any supported Land Rover vehicile model and model year without restrictions. The cheaper one you want as an owner (the $500 unit) does everything the Pro can do, but it will only work with your LR4 once you "lock it" to your specific VIN with Gap Diagnostic during the tool's registration process. That's really the only difference, plus updating the firmware of the Pro model costs money (again, because that tool is designed for LR independent garages as an alternative to other diagnostic systems that use the same software or firmware "subscription" model to keep up-to-date), while firmware updates on the regular IIDTool BT are always free - you pay for the updates when you buy the unit. Features-wise there is no difference. If you ever sell your LR4 and buy another Land Rover model that's supported by the tool, you can keep it and pay GAP a small fee to switch the license to the new vehicle's VIN.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the $488 IID tool and can confirm that I have disabled my TPMS and have seen the option in the menu to permanently raise the height. So the cheaper tool should be fine for your purposes.

Slowpoke13

Reaction score
I got the ~$500 BT one from Lucky8 and it works like a champ. I've so far only used it to check and clear codes from the purchase of the LR4 last month, to add the quick down 2" to the rear windows (and inadvertently disabled the driver side auto-up, that I can't find to correct), and to add the digital speed to the display.

I'm down in San Diego.

DonC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The $500 version would be correct. It helped me with figuring out my fuel injector issue, coil pack issue, as well as when i replaced my suspension pump. I also just used their fast lane service when i swapped in a heated steering wheel with paddle shifters and getting those operational.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72