Land Rover LR4 H7 to H8 Battery Upgrade DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E1966

Reaction score
H7 AND H7 are just battery (group) sizes nothing else. The bigger the size the more of reserve in the battery.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The H8 generally has a tick more CA/CCA but not much. The bigger difference is the reserve capacity / amp-hours.

Sample data from Autocraft AGM below. Each brand of battery may have slightly different ratings:

H7 SPECIFICATIONS:
Amp Hour: 80 AH
Cold Cranking Amperage: 850 A
Cranking Amperage: 1000 A
Reserve Capacity: 140 min

H8 SPECIFICATIONS:
Amp Hour: 95 AH
Cold Cranking Amperage: 900 A
Cranking Amperage: 1000 A
Reserve Capacity: 160 min

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-platinum-agm-battery-group-size-h8-900-cca-h8-agm/10210828-p

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Platinum-AGM-Battery-Group-h8/40647529

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody has issue getting the tie down bracket to fit the new size properly? Mine fit but the bracket isn’t a good fit for the top cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E1966

Reaction score
I had the same problem when I replaced the crappy Interstate battery. Battery was too wide and it wouldn't clear the spacing needed for the bolts to secure it properly and it was too small to hold it in place. Not wanting to deal with rolling around and possibly smashing the wires behind.. I opted to get the original size battery. Get the same size battery preferably AGM and save yourself the hassle.
What brand you might ask yourself. Sears brand is good as good as any Duralast AGM. I prefer Odysseys but weren't made for this vehicle so fitment requires modification of terminal and battery so I prefer to keep the integrity of car and battery. I have 3 batteries in my truck... Starting battery plus back up and auxiliary for my fridge in the back.....hope this help you

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. H8 was my original battery in my 2010. I wonder if the hold down bracket is different.

E1966

Reaction score
Interesting. H8 was my original battery in my 2010. I wonder if the hold down bracket is different.

the design of the battery hold down clamp or its threaded inserts locations remain the same. My lr3 is 2006 and my neighbour is a 2016 and there isn't anything different. Batteries however can change: width, wall thickness, weight, height, terminal offset location, terminal polarity location left to right front to back (+ - OR - +).

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my brand new LR3 (2006) also came with a H8. Never had a problem fitting, perhaps interstate's design changed?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Robuk

Reaction score
Are you going to let a computer inform you when to change your battery, that`s foolish, didn`t happen pre stop/start.

If your car has a BMS, before replacing the battery and spending your hard earned disconnect the sensor (BMS) attached to the neg clamp of the starter battery, fully charge the battery with a Ctech or similar and drive the car. By disconnecting the BMS the EMU controlling the alternator will default it`s charging regime from smart to a continuous standard charge voltage of between 13.8 to 14.2, this will keep the battery fully charged even with short journeys. With smart charging in play on cars with regeneration the EMU has to leave room in the battery for energy regeneration, it won`t allow the alternator to charge the battery above 75/80% under engine power, this means if there is little regeneration or the car does mainly short journeys the battery is often only partially charged for lengthy periods. With the BMS disconnected there is no need to code a new battery as the EMU does not now know what type of battery is in the car. Any sealed lead acid battery can now be used with the same amp hour rating. There is no down side to this, this works on numerous makes of vehicles including Ford, Porsche and Merc as early as late 2011.

Regarding no down side, if you love the stop/start system disconnecting the sensor deactivates stop/start so for those drivers there is a down side.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
There is no down side to this, this works on numerous makes of vehicles including Ford, Porsche and Merc as early as late 2011.
I get a "Charging System Fault". Is it safe to just drive it as is with the light on? I really hate the truck throttling the battery at 75-80%.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA