Living up to its unreliable history

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use only premium unleaded 100% gas which is 93 octane. Also my LR3 had the windshield replaced by the PO - I was trying to figure out why the heated windshield wasn't working and then realized it's not a Pilkington and evidently they went with a non heated replacement. I can't bring myself to put in a Pilkington for no reason other than the heater, but I have thought about it. Maybe I'll hit a rock...

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 80K miles and my windshield is so pitted it makes driving into the sun rather dangerous. If it doesn't get broken in normal use this winter, it's going to be "hit by a rock" in my garage so I can get a new windshield.

pceresia

Reaction score
I don't understand the reviews which continually deride Land Rover serviceability and maintenance issues while at the same time rating LR as the best off road vehicle - seems incompatible to me.

I bought my first LR4 when they were introduced to Canada in 2010 and my second in 2016 when they were unfortunately discontinued and replaced by the Discovery - the Ford Explorer "look a like" - if I wanted a Ford Explorer I would buy a Ford Explorer.

I have had NO maintenance or serviceability issues over my 8 years of LR4 ownership and my only complaint is the high cost of the periodic service checks.

rjowenusa

Reaction score
It's all down to do you want the 'hot blonde that can fight like a navy seal' or the boring Chevy Suburban. The hot blonde probably needs more attention but its worth it :) My two unmodified Land Rovers were the only vehicles that made it out of my subdivision when the flooding started after Harvey. They were also the first back in two weeks later and gave rides to other residents that needed it.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use only premium unleaded 100% gas which is 93 octane. Also my LR3 had the windshield replaced by the PO - I was trying to figure out why the heated windshield wasn't working and then realized it's not a Pilkington and evidently they went with a non heated replacement. I can't bring myself to put in a Pilkington for no reason other than the heater, but I have thought about it. Maybe I'll hit a rock...

Top tier gas has nothing to do with octane. It is more a guarantee of quality.

There are other brands of heated windshields. I have replaced many in the LR3 and LR over the years. My old one was a Benson and the new one is a Fuyao. The optical clarity of the Fuyao looks good. Remember to replace all the A pillar garnish trim clips with a glass replacement. This last go round I also replaced my worn, faded and warped cowling as well.

HuskerBred

Reaction score
^^^ This. If you are not sure if your usual brand of fuel is Top Tier, confirm on the official website - here's a link:

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Extended use of cheap gas can cause all sorts of headaches with the fuel system.

:vollkomme
Since Top Tier gas was mentioned, should you continue to use gas treatment/fuel conditioner annually if you are already using Top Tier gas? I toss a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner in every few months, but if using premium gas with STP additives does the same thing, I'll invest the money in something else.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would. I use a can of BG44k once a year and so far so good.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since Top Tier gas was mentioned, should you continue to use gas treatment/fuel conditioner annually if you are already using Top Tier gas? I toss a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner in every few months, but if using premium gas with STP additives does the same thing, I'll invest the money in something else.
In general it doesn't hurt, but if using Top Tier every tank, you don't need to use additional cleaner very often. A bottle of Red Line SI-1, or can of BG 44K, won't hurt every year or two... but really is not needed every few months. If you do use a full bottle/can, try to do this on the tank just prior to an oil change, as the strong solvents can contaminate the oil a bit. If you want to use something more often, use a couple ounces of Red Line SI-1 per tank.

I did a lot of research on this years ago and my personal regimen is to use a full bottle right after purchasing a vehicle, as I have no idea what the previous owner(s) have used for fuel or additives. But afterwards, I don't add anything on a regular basis if the engine is running normally. Maybe a bottle of the good stuff every 5 years or so if I remember.

For a really good tech discussion on this, read the first Amazon review for SI-1 by "Slipstreampilot" at this link. This also explains why some additives are more expensive than others, due to the PEA levels. There was a different SI-1 review where someone had monitored MPG data over the long term and found a noticeable, repeatable improvement with the ounce or two per tank... can't find that review at the moment though.

:cool:

HuskerBred

Reaction score
In general it doesn't hurt, but if using Top Tier every tank, you don't need to use additional cleaner very often. A bottle of Red Line SI-1, or can of BG 44K, won't hurt every year or two... but really is not needed every few months. If you do use a full bottle/can, try to do this on the tank just prior to an oil change, as the strong solvents can contaminate the oil a bit. If you want to use something more often, use a couple ounces of Red Line SI-1 per tank.

I did a lot of research on this years ago and my personal regimen is to use a full bottle right after purchasing a vehicle, as I have no idea what the previous owner(s) have used for fuel or additives. But afterwards, I don't add anything on a regular basis if the engine is running normally. Maybe a bottle of the good stuff every 5 years or so if I remember.

For a really good tech discussion on this, read the first Amazon review for SI-1 by "Slipstreampilot" at this link. This also explains why some additives are more expensive than others, due to the PEA levels. There was a different SI-1 review where someone had monitored MPG data over the long term and found a noticeable, repeatable improvement with the ounce or two per tank... can't find that review at the moment though.

:cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi