Lower control arm or torque converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this has come on slowly, when accelerating in my 06 LR3 Base (96k miles), lets say I driving 65mph and mash down on the gas to pass someone (and not get a ticket this time), the engine rpms increase, then a huge bump (feels like being rear ended), then it will start to accelerate. Don't really know how else to describe it, when making a left turn sometimes it feels like something is grinding, but not on right turns.

Also, it does not just happen when passing, mostly when shifting gears (1st->2nd->3rd->4th etc) but not down shifting. But it is a lot more noticeable if trying to accelerate quickly.

My bushings in my passenger lower control arm are all loosey goosey, so I started thinking maybe its that.

LR dealership calls it "the bump" and said the only way to fix it was to replace transmission for $8000, however they did not look at the vehicle at all. Private LR repair place said replacing the transmission would not fix problem, but I did not have the time for them to diagnose problem.

If it is the torque converter, am I able to replace on my own? or do I need millions of dollars in high tech equipment? I have replaced flywheels before on a mazdaspeed 3.

Or could it be a motor mount?

Last edited:

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Classic bushings. Call roverparts.com and get the new arms and new hardware. I also did the inner and outer tierods and end links. Total in parts was about $950 ship. Do it once and be done for another 60-70k when they usually fail. Shame on rover for that stunt. Only use for warranty and certain parts I need in a pinch. Good luck

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like trannie...mine was rebuilt at AAMCO for about $5k. Mine was hesitating with bump from 1st. Mine had 123k miles at the time.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no-pistons

Reaction score
Sounds like trannie...mine was rebuilt at AAMCO for about $5k. Mine was hesitating with bump from 1st. Mine had 123k miles at the time.

What exactly was wrong with your transmission? Mine is being rebuilt right now. At 65k miles the e-clutch was toast. Would not shift from 3rd to 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly was wrong with your transmission? Mine is being rebuilt right now. At 65k miles the e-clutch was toast. Would not shift from 3rd to 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was the first gear that was going out. They had to replace all the shift solenoids as well as they were sloppy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM