Lr4 5.0 serpentine belt issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ac compressor locked up? Clutch will spin freely when not engaged.. but stop dead when ac/defrost comes on if compressor is locked.. had this happened to me on a Jeep.
How would I know? Besides turning ac on and possibly sacrificing another belt.

Spins freely when car is off and no belt is on, as expected.

I did not have the defroster or ac on during any of the times it broke, or at all in the last month. I prefer using the heated windshield rather than defroster. Is there a scenario that the car automatically engaged the ac compressor based on weather/temps, etc?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take belt off. . Start vehicle with A/C off and no defrost. try to spin pulley. Activate AC and repeat.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take belt off. . Start vehicle with A/C off and no defrost. try to spin pulley. Activate AC and repeat.
Gone, I suppose, are the days when you had one positive lead to the AC clutch that you could just put voltage to to test it out.

If you do the above test with the belt off, I'd do it with the engine cold, and have someone else starting and stopping the vehicle so you can watch what is happening under the hood. Paint or scratch a mark on the AC pulley so you can see if it is moving. And make it a very short test for the reason @txfromwi outlined.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tested the ac comp as described, seems fine. Spins engaged or not.
Replaced the tensioner.
Installed new belt (gates). Length 96.6"

So far since tensioner replacment the belt has popped off 4 times, immediatly at startup. The belt is not ripping though.
Each time I meticulously check the belt, make sure its aligned and setting straight in the pulleys. Wife starts the car while I'm watching the belt. I can see a little bit of tension being put on the tensioner (moves slightly) and then the belt is off.

I am doing this with the fan off, so I can better see what's going on. Would the fan being installed make a difference? Lack of the fans resistance cause it to do this?

I'm getting very frustrated with this truck.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something is not aligned if it is walking the belt off. Can you get a laser level light in there?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something is not aligned if it is walking the belt off. Can you get a laser level light in there?
My next step is remove and reinstall ps pully.

This while ordeal started because a shop mistakenly put coolant in the ps reservoir, and I drove it like that for 2 weeks not knowing. Which in turn caused the pump to leak. Replaced the pump. Ever since then it's been ongoing issues, the most common of which is serpentine belt problems.

Not sure I can get a laser in there. But I'll give it a shot. If I can't, pulley removed and reinstall is the way to go. Even though they all appear to be aligned.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to ask, but you sure it's not the new PS pump then? Did the shop replace it with an off-brand?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV