LR4 on 33's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without stating your intended uses and goals, any ideas are purely speculative and likely inappropriate. There are too many directions one can go to have a blanket solution.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear what my intentions are with this setup. So what would you recommend on a 20x9 wheel?

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, on my first LR3 I bought the "Stormer" Range Rover Sport SC wheel that was either 20x9 or 9.5, however the tire barely fit next to the upper control arm, though it did just enough. The tire was a Toyo Proxes ST in 285/50-20. It looked great due to being so flush with the wheel arch/flares but it also rode incredibly well due to not being a chunky MT or even aggressive AT. Cornering was also far better than with those other tires.

That was on an entirely stock set up so there was no need for a taller tire. What you're considering doing will not work with the fender flares unless all you do is stay on pavement. The width of both a 305 but also on a 9" wide wheel, that also has a wide offset, is almost certainly going to grind into so many points of contact, more than where the normal modifications are done and possibly more than non-extensive mods can account for in practice.

Personally, I like to know I can even go into a city parking garage, drop the suspension, and turn 100% as needed without grinding stuff.

I use a 33.7" KM2 but it's 285 wide and on 8" wide factory wheels that have a 53 ET. I tested these with my 25mm spacers and it was just no way once any flex pushed the tire upward into the fenders. This was even worse at the front bumper and it's ARB design even has more clearance than a factory shape.

I listed a tire that ought to work previously. It was like 285/55 or 60 -20. 33" will work a lot better than any amount over 33". 32" works WAY better than 33. At 32 you could actually probably get away with whatever width you wanted.

Now if you don't care about rubbing stuff or being able to flex it off road, then just try whatever makes you happy.

Might want to think about the spare location seeing as none of those will fit underneath.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just saw on a land cruiser forum this size on 20's and they'd have similar clearance issues so this size would be fine too. BFG KO2's in a 275/60/20 (33x11)

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
So your basically saying I need a lower offset wheel, correct?

Jazzy

Reaction score
I’m interested in feedback following install/mods...I have 275/65r18 (32.1”) KO2s, along with strut spacers, wheel spacers, and lift rods and I had to do a good amount of cutting of my sliders and frame (horns) and plastic in both front wheel wells. Ask the shop if they do any cutting as most mechanics won’t, usually just off road shops. You can also reshape the plastic with heat gun. Haven’t read comments but I’m sure there’s a lot of insight recommendations to help you be more aware of potential future issues in order to monitor during maintenance and on trips.

My next tires will be more narrow, but still want more sidewall for trails. Not one regret with bigger tires and lift, already come in useful on many a gnarly trails Would have liked to record process but when I installed had tight timeline due to departing on trip next day...worked till 4am in garage with wifeys help. She doesn’t let me forget. Haha. Good luck

C3346D37-30AB-42F1-9FE8-16673E1352F5.jpeg

4103F45F-E8D3-4D2B-BEBA-5DFFD99467FE.jpeg

0DE267EF-CCC9-4CE2-838E-A46303FBE30C.jpeg

8251F4EE-0B46-49D0-8C9F-F6E82AC0F930.jpeg

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
I'll be sure to let y'all know how it goes, whenever it happens. Lift rods and spacers are lost in the mail, so I have to get ahold of Lucky8 to get more sent. Wheels and tires should be here by end of the week, but that does no good without everything else

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 275/65r18 (32.1”) KO2s, along with strut spacers, wheel spacers, and lift rods and I had to do a good amount of cutting of my sliders and frame (horns) and plastic in both front wheel wells

1-you (we) don't have actual 32" BFG ko2 tires. BFG run small and are more like ~31.7 at best. Compared to my Michelin MS2 set of same numerical numbers which is an actual 32.1 or so.

2-I also have spacers on this set (mine are 25mm) but the 33.7" 285/70-18 bfg km2 don't work with the spacers on. They grind into all sorts of **** and that's even with having an ARB front bumper plus all the mods and refined them more than normal.

Jazzy

Reaction score
Only 31.7?! Can’t trust anybody nowadays. Headin’ out to pump up tires until they reach 32.1...

Reactions: mbw

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV