LR4 Suspension warning and knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelly J Ragsdale

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I have a 2013 LR4 with 55k. I bought the car 4 months ago and have driven mostly on pavement. I have an X-Lifter module added to my suspension and I keep it set at 15mm lift due to my tires. I have driven it like this for a few months. Just did some serious off road (lots of rock climbing at low range) and had a suspension warning light come on both times after a few miles (5-8), the car is raised to factory off road height both times. Plus while raised I get a lot of knocking from the front end, I can feel it slightly in the steering wheel. I don't get any of these symptoms while lowered and on highway. For the suspension warning I have to stop and turn off the car briefly to clear the code. The suspension pump shows its hot but not max.

My questions are this... does LR4 normally show a warning when doing intense off road? Plus any idea what would be knocking in the front when raised but not lowered?

Thanks

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
I have hundreds of miles off road in my LR4, and I can confidently say, it SHOULDN'T show a warning when going off road. As for the knocking, not too sure about that. What warning was popping up?

Kelly J Ragsdale

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am getting a yellow suspension failure warning. I have read the posts about pump failure and the suspension holds air and functions normally? It might be the pump but seems odd it would have an issue only off road after a few miles? As for the knocking it seems like a bushing or steering arm might be a little worn. Cant see too much I have full skid plates. On both items it seems odd I wouldn't have issues when on the highway, just off road?

Thanks for the reply.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be lower control arm bushings. Could be sway bar end links or bushings.

As far as a warning light, you really need a code reader that can check the suspension codes. Not all code readers can. If you are going off road regularly, you REALLY need something like the iiD tool from Gap Diagnostic. It will read all the codes, let you clear them, and let you do a lot of other things too.

Last thing is that keep in mind that adjusting your suspension heights messes with your alignment. If you are daily driving at 15mm higher you may want to get your car aligned at that height.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the same after some rock climbing and it was the bushings. After 55K miles, you might want to get new one if offroading.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
The knock is most likely your lca bushings or sway bar end links like everyone said.

You'll need the codes to properly diagnose your suspension issues. Like gap iid tool. Your in luck, black friday sale. https://www.instagram.com/p/CWWCUB_pXnx/?utm_medium=copy_link

If you tap on the left button of the xlifter, you'll see real time compressor temp values in Celcius. To further diagnose, the xlifter has a bypass plug to the harness, bypassing the xlifter controller that sits underneath the steering wheel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA