Need advice on LR4 20 inch wheel tire options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I'm new here but looking for answers. I Just got a 2011 lr4 and I'm wanting to put 20inch redbourne rims with the 265/50/20 nitto terra grapplers. anyone know if this is doable without any mods or rubbing?
Did this for a customer. Factory wheels. If Redbourne is close to factory wheel in offset should be a no brainer.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for info, I just put 20 inch redbourne duke wheels with new cooper Zeno Liz 275/55/20 on my 2011 and the rub like hell when I turn sharp while parking. They look amazing, but Im not sure what to do about the rubbing. I have Johnson rods on full time and their Webster said they would fit. Any ideas? I ordered the tires online, so its not like I can take them back.

aesopian

Reaction score
I added 20" Matte Black DUB Drone wheels with 275/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappler AT on the LR4. I have a 5th for a spare, need to figure out how to carry it.

These were the 3rd rims attempted because the Voxx OR-7 have a 2 month back order and the Elite Carnal Matte Black wouldn't work due to the front caliper. Needed to consider weight handling and the front caliper.

I also experience rubbing either at the front of the wheel or the back when I turn sharp. If it rubs now I'm concerned with what it will do when I'm wheeling. I do experience the rub at full extension when I turn sharp.

There is only plastic rubbing on the front so I am going to look into cutting it back. Should fix the front rub when turning left with the passenger wheel. The rear rub occurs against a rounded protrusion on the frame. Can this be cut back and a new flat piece welded to replace it? This would provide ample room in the back of the wheel well for the tires if it was flush.

One of the tire shops showed me this site, pretty handy to view tire comparison. www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Attachments

• DUB wheel with Nitto Terra Grappler.jpg
    DUB wheel with Nitto Terra Grappler.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 400

aesopian

Reaction score
Not the best picture when you have to take it from the drive way, but a better perspective than my previous post.

I blew out a sidewall on a stupid little rock with the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's I was running in the 255/55/19. Long story, but never obtained a full size spare because I didn't want to invest in another set of wheels that weren't what I felt was a proper off-roading tire. Kept me off the trails for the past year. Finally was able to save up some money to make a change.

I can say that the Rover got me through ice and snow between two feet and 1 foot through the mountains with chains on 3 1/2 wheels running the wussy spare that comes with the LR4 (not HSE version) when I blew out my tire.

Ensure if you run rods to get an alignment regularly to avoid crowning.

Attachments

• Grappler driveway2.jpg
    Grappler driveway2.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 490

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your truck looks great, I exchanged my Zeon 275/55/20s for a set of 285/50/20s and it really made a big difference. No rubbing and plenty of travel. This tire fills the well and looks great. I just didn't like the rubbing and didnt really want to beat the hell out of my wheel well. Noe its time for an alignment.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expat93, I'm considering putting on 285/50/20 zeons as well. Any chance you could post a few pics of what that setup looks like?

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure will, give me until tomorrow since its dark and I'm lazy. It'll be up by the end of the day. As stated, when I traded out the Zeon's I went with more of a street tire. The Zeon is awesome, but 99% of my driving is on the road for now. I plan to get a 2nd set of tires for off road and they'll certainly be Zeon's. By the way, if Any one wants to buy a set of four brand new (25mi) 275/55/20 Zeon's just let me know. I'll let the go for 180 plus shipping.

aesopian

Reaction score
Finally got out this weekend. Sloppy melting snow, dirt roads, pavement, icy snow covered dirt roads, powder, hard pack, incline, decline...a lot of different environments over the weekend. Bitter cold at 4 degrees and the tires worked great. Very happy.

Attachments

• out and about.jpg
    out and about.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 442

aesopian

Reaction score
This weekend I drove 1200 miles on the new Nitto Terra Grapplers. 99% of it was highway miles and I am very impressed. Tires are balanced beautifully, the dealership did a great alignment and the tires gave off very low road noise.

I did have an opportunity to go off road driving cattle trails though the hills. Best stuff couldn't be photographed, but coming down a hillside with a steep decent into a gully/ravine I definitely was using all of the extension on the rig and traction of the tires.

A pick-up truck came around the corner on the dirt road I was driving to and the expression on this guys face as he saw my truck nosed into the ravine was classic. I got a thumbs up. It isn't every day in ranch country that someone sees a Land Rover, let alone one in a situation where they wouldn't be taking their pickup trucks.

Very happy with the upsized tires. Rubbing only occurred when I turned sharp. I still haven't addressed that issue yet, but it is still part of the plan.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 282

aesopian

Reaction score
20's at work again.

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpg