Need advice on LR4 20 inch wheel tire options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbDisco4HSE

Reaction score
FYI early build LR3's (2005 & 2006) could accept a 285/50/20 tire without rubbing. In 2007 LR added a redesigned bump stop on the chassis that created rubbing for the 285 tire size. LR4s in stock offset would have rubbing with 285's but any extension outwards should be ok (or the grinding down of the bump stop on the chassis - not that I'm recommending that of course).

Thanks for the advice. Does this apply even with Johnson Rods installed permanently?

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, this does not take into account any lift rods. Only stock set up.

lovison

Reaction score
Did the lift with the 275/65/18s!

Love the way it looks.

The rubbing does have me freaked out a little but it is only at tight turns.

I did do the full alignment as recommended in the earlier post. Now I'm just dying to take this off roading... Anyone in the DFW area want to go?

Attachments

• Left Side - new wheels.jpg
    Left Side - new wheels.jpg
    680.2 KB · Views: 462
  • Right Side - New Wheels.jpg
    Right Side - New Wheels.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 457

jbrincks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lovison, how much do the tires rub? Did you lift it before installing wheels and tires? I have an LR3 that I'm putting the same size tires on tomorrow and was curious.

By the way it looks great!

lovison

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to answer the question of "how much rubbing".

I put on the 2.5" lift from johnsonrods.com. At normal ride height, which is 2.5" higher than the old normal ride height, there is some when the wheels are turned hard. For me, I have found this to only be when parking and getting out of parking spots. It's not much but it does bother me a little. I thinking about taking it in to a place around me to see if they can push in the bump outs in the front the wheel wells, that is the only spot where there is rubbing and I can't figure out why they have the bump outs there anyway.

jbrincks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I will have the same setup. I put the 2.5" Johnson Rods on over the weekend and had it aligned yesterday. Wheels are being powdercoated today and tires tomorrow. If you end up pushing in the bump outs, let us know if it solves the rubbing.

Thanks again.

aesopian

Reaction score
It has been a while since I posted, so long actually that I changed my rig out.

Same wheels still, but different tires. Goodyear released their Duratrac in 275/55/20. More tread and more rubbing, but dealership made some wheel adjustments and the rubbing is non-existent unless I turn sharp to the left.

Attachments

• IMG_2713.JPG
    IMG_2713.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_2712.JPG
    IMG_2712.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_2419.JPG
    IMG_2419.JPG
    375.8 KB · Views: 299

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend the following two tires for 20 and 19 inch wheels for off road use:

1. Goodyear AT Adventurer with Kevlar 275-55-20
I own a set of these and they are great. Highest ranked tire in its class
on Tire Rack.

gy_wrang_atadvkev_owl_ci2_l.jpg
[/IMG]

2. Goodyear DuraTrac MT 275-55-20

gy_wranglerdt_owl_ci2_l.jpg
[/IMG]

I will be updating my tire size chart to include these two optionshttp://johnsonrods.com/johnson_rods_2_004.htm

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this one back from the recesses of the internet....Looking to get the BFG AT KO2's in 275/55/R20's. I presume there is no real world experience yet but the consensus seems to be that these would be OK on a stock set up? I have some rods on the way but wanted to check with the local experts.

Thanks!
Chris