Probably dumb frame horn removal question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm upgrading my rims and tires and was going to cut off my frame horns.

Do I NEED to weld on a blanking plate? I see that the frame is open on the bottom, and understand that more dirt, mud, etc would be forced in the open hole if I left it open.

I guess what I am worried about, not knowing much about what that part of the frame supports, is whether it will deform, stretch, compress, with the structure of the "end cap" removed... a structural integrity question if you will.

Likewise, if it is not structural, why can't I just trim down the piece I remove and JB weld it into place to keep out dirt?

Probably a dumb question, but I would rather ask the experts before I do something I regret.

Just a note: for realsies welding is not really an option right now for various reasons..

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"welding is not really an option right now of various reasons" Had to ask, what's wrong with welding? Sure beats JB gluing any part together that being a half azz patch 'em up job.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing is wrong with it. Much preferred for many reasons.

The welder that I would use is inaccessible for the foreseeable future, and I can't take the vehicle anywhere locally for various reasons. I have little options lol. I figured that patching the hole is better than leaving it open. Unless it is structural. Then I would have no choice but to wait.

Part of this question is bred out of impatience (I want to put my wheels on now) but also curiosity.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
The frame horns are unnecessary, they were meant for popping your tires so it doesn't cause more damage.

Anyhow, I know a guy that did this on 2 different LR4s where he cuts them off and welds a blanking plate and paints it. He also uses a heat gun to warp/invert the wheel well plastic to stop the rubbing. I think he was able to fit 33s and 34s on it with these mods on the front.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking you had welders in your shop or garage only requiring rolling out then welding your project. I got fed up over 40 years ago bugging friends with welders, played stepping stone upgrading until the Miller 350 Synchrowave Tig and Miller 251 Mig machine w/30A Spoolgun suited my needs. Plasma cutter replacing O/A cutting as well welding. Being independent never relying on using others equipment, paying for machining, fabricating and welding projects. DIY is rewarding and cost saving; https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=rm&ogbl#inbox?projector=1.....~~=o&o>.....

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tracking all that brother. Prefereed method is to weld the plate on. What im asking is : do i HAVE to?

The frame horns are unnecessary, they were meant for popping your tires so it doesn't cause more damage.

Anyhow, I know a guy that did this on 2 different LR4s where he cuts them off and welds a blanking plate and paints it. He also uses a heat gun to warp/invert the wheel well plastic to stop the rubbing. I think he was able to fit 33s and 34s on it with these mods on the front.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A welder is the only "tool" I have never purchased. I'm with you on DIY.

I was thinking you had welders in your shop or garage only requiring rolling out then welding your project. I got fed up over 40 years ago bugging friends with welders, played stepping stone upgrading until the Miller 350 Synchrowave Tig and Miller 251 Mig machine w/30A Spoolgun suited my needs. Plasma cutter replacing O/A cutting as well welding. Being independent never relying on using others equipment, paying for machining, fabricating and welding projects. DIY is rewarding and cost saving; https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=rm&ogbl#inbox?projector=1.....~~=o&o>.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM