Real MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vladyshka13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all replies. I'm driving now Acura MDX, and I absolutely hate this car. The design is alright, but it's much smaller then LR3/LR4, but what really irritates me is gas consumption. The computer tells me 16.4 mixed (and it's in a small town, no traffic and not a lot of lights), but real MPG is 13.5 I'm getting rid of this junk next year.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPG and Land Rover are not necessarily friends, but coming off a Honda minivan at 17 around town to a LR4 at 15 around town is not that bad. I also found that how you drive matters,e.g. My wife and I could drive the same circuit in town and I can get 16-17, she gets 13-14. I find the LR4 accelerates quick enough without much gas, and I use cruise control a lot more since its so convenient. No need to drive like it was the last lap at LeMans. I get 19-22 on highway, depends on load and speed. Very comparable to 2009 Honda minivan for us.

For MPG I drive the Golf TDI.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You bet Quijote, us MEch E's need our toys to play with.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did 20.13 mpg actual at 350 miles to the tank BUT had 1/4 tank (another 50 miles) to go so I think I could have hit 400 miles to the tank! Computer said 22mpg.

No AC on, 6% up/down grades. Avg speed 55mph.

I was thrilled!

Last edited:

gmag24

Reaction score
Wow. I envy you all. I'm averaging sub 10 mpg (9.7). I live in West Los Angeles in the traffic center of the universe. The car is rarely on freeway since my wife is dropping the kids off at a local school. Kinda bummed. We don't even drive the car hard at all. It's brand new, so I'm curious if there's a gradual improvement once the car's broken in? Any other tips?

C4SumLR4

Reaction score
One website that might be of use to you would be www.fuelly.com. Drivers of all different vehicles, (including LR4s), post their actual data that you can compare.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I envy you all. I'm averaging sub 10 mpg (9.7). I live in West Los Angeles in the traffic center of the universe. The car is rarely on freeway since my wife is dropping the kids off at a local school. Kinda bummed. We don't even drive the car hard at all. It's brand new, so I'm curious if there's a gradual improvement once the car's broken in? Any other tips?
I have about 2,500 miles on my 2013 LR4 and the gas mileage does seem to get a little bit better, though it's hard for me to tell since my accessories definitely decrease the mpgs! My roof rack, gear on top, rock sliders, etc. all make it even more of a gas guzzler. Then again, I ride my bike during the week so it's fine. I wouldn't use my LR4 for a really long commute.

With that said, I am getting around 14-16 MPG on the highway (though I barely ever check) - so your numbers seem very low!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM