Replacing Brake Pads, keep the rotors? 20k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davenport

Reaction score
Do the rotors have to be turned or replaced? Has anyone only replaced the brake pads and sensors?

I understand that it depends on what they look like. I was just wondering if rotors always have to be turned/replaced.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to do anything but pads unless it's warranted. :burnout:

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends...

The minimum thickness on rotors is stamped on thte outside of the hub surface. LR3 V8 = 27mm. If the thickness is less than that, they are supposed to be replaced. If they have physical damage that can not be turned out without reducing the thicness below the minimun they are supposed to be replaced.

Can a person just throw pads on a car that has rotors beneath the Spec? Sure, but the trade off is possible fading due to heat buildup from the reduced size, and possible warping from the heat, (less mass to disperse heat). The other reason to replace is that rotors don't necessarily wear even, and they develop high and low spots that you feel as pulsation as you stop, not to mention that very shiny surface you see which reduces brake performance, this is known as glazing. You can turn a rotor to reduce the glazing, but you might turn it undersize, and we covered that.

Now you know the rest of the story.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At about 24,000 miles I replaced pads and sensors only on all 4. Rotors were still good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635