Required Service message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

It's hard to believe that I have had my LR4 for almost a year now. Just yesterday, I started to get the "Service Required" message on the display. It goes out after just a few seconds, so unless you are looking straight ahead, you will miss it.

I currently have 11,746 miles on the clock and July 3rd of last year is when we took it home. It had 27 miles on the odometer when we got it.

I'm assuming that it must trigger based not only on the actual quality of the oil but also takes into account the time and mileage. I figure that my mileage and oil quality should be fine, it must be going off the interval to trigger the message.

Any long time owners have any feedback on this?

Thanks,

Rob

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi rob,
I have had the same thing. They go by what they call the delivery date. That is the date when the vehicle got to the dealer and not the milage. Call the dealer and find out what the date is and make sure you do the service within a calendar year of that date or LR will not pay for it. Strange but true!!!!!

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exact same thing here.......

We took delivery of our HSE Lux at the end of July, it was the service loaner with only 700 miles on it. They said it had been in service for only 3 or 4 weeks, and that the Sales Manager was driving when it wasn't used as a service loaner. About at 11,500 miles (give or take a few) we started getting the same message. It's now got about 12,300 miles on it, and after reading the OP, it reminded me to call. I'll be taking it in within the week.

The great thing is that over the 12K + miles, we've only seen a few glitches with the GUI (radio, NAV) interface that happened twice but not in several months. NO OTHER problems at all!!! My tires are wearing a bit faster then I'd like, and I'm curious what the shop mech. at LR will have to say about my break life (pads / rotors). Overall, very happy so far!

Cheers,

Joe

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are heading to Europe later this week for 14 days. I'm not going to make it in to get the oil changed before we leave, so it will have to be when we get back. It will still be before the 1 year aniversary of the purchase. Still, I plan on calling the dealership to check on the in-service date.

I'm with you, only minor electrical issues to date. My tires are wearing well. I have not rotated them yet, but they look very uniform front to back.

I'm a bit concerned about the brakes. I'm really hopefull that I can get at least 20k miles out of them. I'll report back when I have my service done.

Rob

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just called my LR dealer to schedule service and they said.....

That the "reminder" goes off to "begin the process of getting an appointment set up", but that the actual service that the pay for (first ones free) is the 15K miles (one year). When I asked about the potential issue with being over (in miles and or "time" or "in service date") the service manager said unless it was months, or thousands of miles over, they'd still cover the service cost, and the warranty WOULD NOT be effected. Maybe this is just one dealers policy vs. another, but it seemed reasonable to me.

Oh, my dealer also mentioned that the issues with the Radio has been corrected with a software flash that will be done during my upcoming scheduled maintenance. He said I'm due to bring it in by end of June, or early July, but that I could bring it by sooner if I desired. Overall, I can't stress enough how satisfied I am with the vehicle, it's reliability, and the willingness / honesty of my local dealer. Almost a year later and still in love with the truck!

For what it's worth, I'm also now driving the new Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (V6) in Metallic Gray, and Saddle interior. I didn't opt for the Hemi (wish I would have), but like the LR, I'm very happy so far! Nearly 6K miles in 4 months and not a single issue to speak of. Guess I'm getting lucky with the Auto's lately!!!!!

Cheers,

Joe

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
saw mine come up last week. went in for service today. car is at 8330 miles. service took about 4 hours because i told them to check out the blue screen of surround cam. they replaced cable and that was a 3 hour job i guess. got a free wash and was on my way. was just glad the cable was replaced because i keep hearing people on the forum going in but the dealership has to order parts.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the service light means its time for an oil change 15k service wich includes oil oil filter and pollen filter inside the cabin for the ac system. as far as the blue screen goes land rover as designed mini amps to be put inline with the cables since the cables will still loose signal causing the blue screen soooo i suggest you guys ask to get put on the list for these amps since they will be gone fast and production on these things is slow.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got mine done on the 28th of July. My service reminder was on for almost 2 months. I had 12,600 miles on the odo. I started the thread on June 3rd of this year when I had 11,746.

Rob

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got mine done on the 28th of July. My service reminder was on for almost 2 months. I had 12,600 miles on the odo. I started the thread on June 3rd of this year when I had 11,746.

Rob

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
saw mine come up last week. went in for service today. car is at 8330 miles. service took about 4 hours because i told them to check out the blue screen of surround cam. they replaced cable and that was a 3 hour job i guess. got a free wash and was on my way. was just glad the cable was replaced because i keep hearing people on the forum going in but the dealership has to order parts.

Hi ycharlie,
you have the vision assist package with the surround cameras? I thought that comes with Adaptive HID headlights? so why did you have to instal the aftermarket HIDs?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM