RTE LR3 REAR Bumper and Tire Carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got some interesting photos of a new RTE concept bumper for the LR3. Its for the rear bumper. Comes in two pieces, ships inexpensively, and can be man-handled/installed by one person. The prototype is a little rough, but it shows promise and is certainly an interesting concept. Per the LRL Magazine blogroll, the bumper will have lots of options for swing-away mounted add-ons. LRL Mag took it to "Hummer Hill" that is a man made 60 degree ramp that tests approach and departure angle. Pretty cool. Check it out:

RTE-BumperAngles-800-01.gif

RTE-BumperAngles-800-02.gif

RTE-BumperAngles-800-03.gif

RTE-BumperAngles-800-04.gif

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand who dropped the ball on this....the sign on the test track boasts 60% slope.

Anyone remember their Trigonometry? That's just not very steep. It LOOKS steep in the picture. Either it ought to be 60 degrees and everyone at GM f'd up big-time by saying % accidentally and robbing themselves of 30 degrees worth of capability. Or they have been boasting about the ability to climb a 31 degree slope (60%) all along and fooling people into thinking that was a steep gradient...hell it worked on my brother.

I'm pretty sure an H1 can clamber up a slope steeper than 30 degrees so maybe they meant 60 degrees not 60% and they are just all stupid over there.

Oh...nice bumper.

Last edited:

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of comments,
I like how the bottom half of the front bumper has a very angular design with mounting for the stock fog lights; however, the top half (bull bar portion) does not really suit the demeanor of the LR3. I mean, it just looks too bullish. I think some regular bars going with the shape of the hoodline and headlights would suffice. Regardless, it really does look well built and I look forward to some action photos.

Another thing, the rear bumper + tire carrier attachment is something I've long been waiting for, but the actual placement of the spare seems a bit off. I don't know if its the angle of the pictures or the fact that its a prototype, but that's something y'all might want to look in to. The spare needs to placed lower and a nudge towards the left so the right tail light can still be easily visible.

Other than that, the parts look brilliant and if they go into production, y'all may have a customer.

btw, that strut grille needs to be taken off, asap. I'm guessing someone lost a bet?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy cow, that's one nasty looking rear bumper. Makes the GI Joe front bumper look like it was penned by Pininfarina himself. It's just a prototype though, so they can still fix it. :biggrin:

MST

Reaction score
I'm with dantheman1 - looks too bullish. What is with the cable and turnbuckles? Does this mean you need a roof rack to support the front bumper?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the cables are called limb risers? They are supposed to clear tree branches and stuff off your windshield when wheeling in deep vegetation. They don't support the bumper.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with dantheman1 - looks too bullish. What is with the cable and turnbuckles? Does this mean you need a roof rack to support the front bumper?

LOL, no, those are just limb risers for plunging through the forest without whacking your A-pillars on tree branches.

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty tough! I understand the rear bumper is still a prototype and needs fixed given the obvious with the tire mount. But it appears they left the opening in the rear for the recovery point and access to the tow hitch mount however how do you access the trailer wiring harness? Might also be a minor oversite? If they can fix the tire mount and the wiring harness, both front and rear bumpers are going on my wishlist.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM