Startup ticking noise - exhaust leak or lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How in the world does a bolt in that location shear off or get so corroded that it breaks off? But glad you got it traced and fixed so quickly.
Material failure maybe. I have read about that same issue once before. I think it was on this forum.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife just asked what they talk about on the land cruiser forums. She then said it’s probably just a bunch of empty threads. You know it’s tedious when your SO had an awareness of relative reliability.
Regardless I will note that it is amazing just how much an exhaust leak can sound like tappets or metal knocking on metal. And how it can exist on cold start and go away when heated.
I know I heard that sound more pronounced when skiing and the startup temp was round zero. I wrote it off at the time.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an addendum I notice that the cold start warmup high rev is much faster now that this leak has been fixed. Not sure how that would affect things to shorten the high rev time but it has.

RoverTide

Reaction score
@Fuji4 - I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled across your video, and I have a very similar tick. I have suspected a drivers side exhaust leak since mine has new chains, tensioners, cams, etc.... anyway, its driving me nuts. Sounds like your indie was able to get in there and fix it fairly easily. I am curious if you remember what specifically was done, and how he was able to access the bolts. They seem blocked at every angle. Did he just replace a bolt? tighten the existing one down? drill out and tap a new one? Let me know if you remember.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fuji4 - I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled across your video, and I have a very similar tick. I have suspected a drivers side exhaust leak since mine has new chains, tensioners, cams, etc.... anyway, its driving me nuts. Sounds like your indie was able to get in there and fix it fairly easily. I am curious if you remember what specifically was done, and how he was able to access the bolts. They seem blocked at every angle. Did he just replace a bolt? tighten the existing one down? drill out and tap a new one? Let me know if you remember.
Drilled and tapped I believe.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Exhaust leaks definitely causes more engine noise as the ecu compensates with more fuel. I had a broken bolt on the exhaust manifold down to the cats. While removing the heads I found both heads with broken exhaust manifold bolts. I ended up removing the heads to remove/replace the bolts, complete engine gaskets, the bad exhaust manifold with stuck broken bolt and broken extractor, redo timing (done less than 1 year) with zero slack, retapped every single thread on the head and block, new head bolts based on engine block serial stamp, torqued to workshop manual spec, and redid all cooling parts.

I removed both heads to do both exhaust manifold gaskets and knew what I was in for. It took me 3 days straight with probably 8 hours of sleep to get it all done before my big weekend off road trip. Luckily I had 3 hours to break it in before heading out, but still... it's a BIG job and you can definitely squeeze everything that needs to be done into that job.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72