Steal of a deal on an LR4 with issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh that’s good to know, I’m not a spammer I swear [emoji23]

Seams slimy on GAP to lock the tool to a VIN considering these things aren’t cheap to begin with and you can’t run diags on a friends LR. Any idea what the transfer fee is like?

Bummer that I missed the BF deal though. $415 shipped seems like a great deal, I’ll get in touch with them to see if they can get me a half decent deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's only $80 to add a vin license, your buddies should be able to cough that up to use your tool for free. :D

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Seams slimy on GAP to lock the tool to a VIN considering these things aren’t cheap to begin with and you can’t run diags on a friends LR. Any idea what the transfer fee is like?

Bummer that I missed the BF deal though. $415 shipped seems like a great deal, I’ll get in touch with them to see if they can get me a half decent deal.

$35. this still only allows 1 vin to be used. prior vin is erased from memory.
https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/shop/transfer-of-ownership/

$80 to add additional vin.
https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/shop/extra-vin-license-for-iidtool-and-eascontrol/

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They charge what the market will bear. There is another pricing tier they offer that opens the device up to unlimited vehicles. This is mostly for shops.

The transfer charge was around $35 if memory serves. The method for transferring online and only using email for certain parts of the process is a bit unwieldy but works eventually. That part of getting set up could use some improvement.

$415 is a great price during that promotion. I bought mine for $350 from a friend who had just unloaded his LR3. Other than buying from a local club network, finding a used one online for a decent price would be akin to a hole in one.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
classified need a certain amount of posts before you have permission.

IID tool is few and far between used. they were actually just on sale for black friday for $415ish shipped from lucky8. i dont think theyll honor that price.
ask them nicely and they usually will sell for $480ish shipped though.

last used iid tool i saw sell for $420, which isnt that good of a deal since you have to pay a fee for vin transfer.

Thanks for the tip DaytonaRS7 - I reached out to Lucky8 and they said they'll do $480 shipped!

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to run a scan using my VCDS, I've been traditionally an Audi guy(previous A6, now an A7 owner) while I wait for the IID to arrive and I was surprised by the amount of codes I was able to pull, unfortunately all of the cylinders are reporting missfires in addition to a Camshaft positioning sensor error, which from a quick look is pointing to timing chain slack/issue:

Address 7E8: 12 Faults Found:
P0301 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
P0303 - Cylinder 3: Misfire Detected
P0304 - Cylinder 4: Misfire Detected
P0305 - Cylinder 5: Misfire Detected
P0306 - Cylinder 6: Misfire Detected
P0307 - Cylinder 7: Misfire Detected
P0308 - Cylinder 8: Misfire Detected
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0316 - SAE - Engine Misfire Detected on Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)
P061A - SAE - Internal Control Module Torque Performance
P0017 - Bank 1: CMP Sensor 3 (G300) / Engine Speed Sens (G28): Incorrect Correlation

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should also add that I read and recorded the codes first, reset and started the car again. The car ran for about 5 min, at times idling great, at times not so great. Seems as though there is a bit of moisture coming out of the left exhaust at times whereas the right one looks pretty clear. Seems to be pretty consistent with what the dealer was saying (timing chain problem and blown head gasket).

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the LR4 into the garage and started to take stuff apart. Put the hood into service mode, removed the engine cover, battery, air boxes and intake. Noticed a 2 prong plug near the positive battery terminal that wasn’t plugged in to anything. I tried to follow it back but it looks like it’s going through the firewall. I’ll try to put a wire tracer on it to see where it’s going. Anyone know what this is?

182e8aecc1cb9a31c1513b56501b43d6.jpg

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shipment power plug. Used during transportation of the vehicle from the factory. Just tuck it back in when your done putting things back together, and good luck with your repair!

Got the LR4 into the garage and started to take stuff apart. Put the hood into service mode, removed the engine cover, battery, air boxes and intake. Noticed a 2 prong plug near the positive battery terminal that wasn’t plugged in to anything. I tried to follow it back but it looks like it’s going through the firewall. I’ll try to put a wire tracer on it to see where it’s going. Anyone know what this is?

182e8aecc1cb9a31c1513b56501b43d6.jpg

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm glad that Land Rover doesn't label this. It would take all the fun out of things for those of us who poke around our engine bays. This is definitely a FAQ here on this forum; I'm pretty sure I either asked or wondered about it myself. Good luck with your project(s)!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is that stupid plug has given me pause multiple times. I've probably dealt with it on several occasions before, but there I was a week ago putting everything back together after doing my spark plugs (including plugging the harness back in on the passenger side), when I saw that plug and did an "oh ****, where does this..." for a few seconds until I remembered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV