Struggling with Gap Tool Transfer of Ownership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I'm finding the transfer of ownership guide to not be the most intuitive.

I bought a used Gap tool which is currently locked and purchased the ToO from Gap. First of all, I can't really tell what purchasing the ToO is actually doing? It talked about shipping options at checkout so am I actually receiving a product or is it just something electronic?

Secondly, I'm running into a roadblock following the guide. I'm at the step where I've got the tool plugged into my laptop and am opening the app on my phone to get the tool setup. When I open the app and select "search for tool", it finds the tool, but then when I select it to set it up, it tells me its locked and has the previous owner's name there. Well of course its locked, it's used. But you would think the "transfer of ownership" guide would account for this fact, but the guide tells me nothing about how I'm supposed to navigate around this?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the tool plugged into your laptop, but did you install the uploader tool onto your laptop? There should be a link on the GAP website to download the software. I would imagine that that is where you would unlock the tool.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the tool plugged into your laptop, but did you install the uploader tool onto your laptop? There should be a link on the GAP website to download the software. I would imagine that that is where you would unlock the tool.
I can’t find anything of that sort on their website.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience the process for transfer of ownership was very unintuitive, as in extremely unintuitive. I encountered the same confusing instructions on the website. It turns out the process is not fully automated and it requires an email from Patrick the developer in order to complete the process, if memory serves. Granted he was responsive and it only took a day or so, but I found that to be so outlandish in this day and age that it almost made me question the wisdom of using the tool at all. I got over it but I remember thinking, “Seriously?”

It’s great once you get past that setup and transfer.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t find anything of that sort on their website.

You're right. You will have to create an account. It's under "my products" (banner on top of account page). Then you will see "updater download" above "my units"

Screenshot_20210203-082138.png

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA