Suspension tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This explains a lot.

Yes, put it in tight tolerance mode with your Gap iid tool. It locks your suspension in place. When getting an alignment, ask for zero toe and maybe a (negative) 1-1.5 camber at normal height. As you raise the truck the camber goes to zero and then positive. Zero toe for the same reason where your toe can wear out your tires faster.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info!
At this point in life I have more time than $. And...I live in a third-world city where finding expertise is not a sure thing. The shop might fix one problem and create with two more. I have it dialed in now so I’m gonna replace the other LCA. I did notice the variability so I will use tight tolerance next time.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Great info!
At this point in life I have more time than $. And...I live in a third-world city where finding expertise is not a sure thing. The shop might fix one problem and create with two more. I have it dialed in now so I’m gonna replace the other LCA. I did notice the variability so I will use tight tolerance next time.

If you don't have an iid tool to put it in tight tolerance, you can remove fuse F26 while the truck is running. Double-check the height at each corner before getting it aligned. Oem height is 18 3/8" in the front and 19 1/8" in the rear, from center cap to the fender flare.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I’m still having the issue where my tires are wearing faster on the outside despite the customer request of -1.5 camber on all wheels. Is there anything else I’m missing, the car was put in tight tolerance mode. Note that I do have about a one in a half inch lift on the car through the IID tool. Here’s a picture of the alignment sheet, is there anything else I can change?

image.jpg

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If camber is in spec, the next thing that can cause abnormal edge wear is toe... but that appears in spec as well.

Are the control arm bushings in good shape, steering linkage, etc? Nothing getting out of spec when going down the road, where alignment will change vs being parked on the alignment rack?

:2in1:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there shouldn’t be anything going out of spec. The Control arm and sway bar link bushings were just done about 15k miles ago. Any thoughts?

If camber is in spec, the next thing that can cause abnormal edge wear is toe... but that appears in spec as well.

Are the control arm bushings in good shape, steering linkage, etc? Nothing getting out of spec when going down the road, where alignment will change vs being parked on the alignment rack?

:2in1:

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm low on ideas. It may somehow be related to the 1.5" lift.

Is the wear problem on all four tires? Stock tire size? Is the alignment performed in tight tolerance mode at the 1.5" lifted height?

:oops:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 265/65R18 nitto ridge grapplers. Ye alignment is preformed at the same hight with tight tolerance mode on. I’m at a loss as well, anyone else have any ideas?

I'm low on ideas. It may somehow be related to the 1.5" lift.

Is the wear problem on all four tires? Stock tire size? Is the alignment performed in tight tolerance mode at the 1.5" lifted height?

:oops:

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking/spitballing aloud:
  1. Cornering hard wears outside of tires more. I have no idea how MUCH more wear you're describing.
  2. Alignment wasn't done right, so you're still not aligned. Try another shop?
  3. Measuring wear wrong or imprecisely - you said "still having the issue" but I don't know how long you've been having it, whether these are the same tires as before the alignment, how long since the alignment you've had, or how you're measuring wear.
  4. Are you measuring the delta in wear across the entire tire? Is it REALLY wearing on the outsides more? Have you tried chalking the tires to see how the contact patch looks?
  5. Bushings replaced 15k ago...by who? Done right? Still good? Quality parts?
HTH

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV