Territory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a dealer in our area (the only one in our state) that does not have great inventory, knows little about the LR4, will not dealer trade, an will not deal at all. Not really a fan of buying there.

I have talked with a dealer in the next state - about a 3hr drive away. I go there often so it is no big deal. He was going to give me a few thousand off a loaded LR4 Landmark and would plate and everything for us. He wants business. He has about 5 dealers within 30-40mins of him. It is amazing when capitalism works.

Anyway, my question is that the dealer in my town said that they cannot sell outside their market and that this other dealer should not sell. She said it is an unspoken rule of LR. Is this true? Will this other dealer get in trouble with LR?

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is true, at least here in the US. Evidently it is to cut down on grey market exports.

We were going crazy looking for a RR LWB with RSE. No dealers in our region had any. We found a Lorie Blue one down in the DC area. Even though we were trading in a 2012 (i.e., prior RR owners), the were not allowed to sell to us. They were only about 30 miles away from the dealer we bought our 2010 and 2012 from, but that dealer is at the edge of our "limit".

That's how we ended up with a 2015 Suburban. We got fed up with the game.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt I will buy an LR if I have to go to the local dealer. Will stay with BMW or possibly the Yukon Denali.

The out of state dealer swears he can sell to me.

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you are not locked into a single dealer. I can't remember what the radius is, but it generally consists of several dealers. My area is SE PA, NJ, Delaware and the Baltimore area of Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the dealer you like is willing to sell what you want to you then what is the problem? I say buy what you want and be happy.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is true, but.... It is a dealer who may have problems not you. If they want to sell you a truck go for it.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't care what any dealer tells me. If you don't have stock of what I want and are not willing to work with me, I am taking my business elsewhere.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a dealer in our area (the only one in our state) that does not have great inventory, knows little about the LR4, will not dealer trade, an will not deal at all. Not really a fan of buying there.

I have talked with a dealer in the next state - about a 3hr drive away. I go there often so it is no big deal. He was going to give me a few thousand off a loaded LR4 Landmark and would plate and everything for us. He wants business. He has about 5 dealers within 30-40mins of him. It is amazing when capitalism works.

Anyway, my question is that the dealer in my town said that they cannot sell outside their market and that this other dealer should not sell. She said it is an unspoken rule of LR. Is this true? Will this other dealer get in trouble with LR?

Two things:

1. I'm sure you know this and are just posting for discussion's sake, but whether the dealer gets in trouble is not your concern as it won't effect you one iota. If the dealer 3 hours away will sell to you, feel free to buy from that dealer. You are not liable for any internal Land Rover rules. That said...

2. Territorial maps like this only work if a dealership is willing to work with and sell to the customers in their territory. If the dealer in your area raises a stink and tries to get the dealer 3 hours away in trouble, all that dealer has to say is the dealer in your territory was unwilling to work with you and get you the vehicle you want. After all, you aren't asking for miracles, you just want a vehicle that Land Rover clearly offers.

Again, however, this whole territory business is of no consequence to you, and you should just buy from the dealer willing to give you what you want. Servicing your vehicle at your local dealer should be no problem, too. For one, if your local dealer refuses to service your vehicle because you bought it elsewhere, they will most likely be in violation of their dealer agreement. And second, the service department and the sales department are almost two different entities, and the service department would love to get some business on the LR Warranty dime.

Last edited:

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan and I agree.

I know after the sale, I will need to work with the local dealer for any warranty work and general service. I do not want them to hold a grudge or hinder any goodwill that I may need.

I spoke with a friend that is ordering a Jag from a different salesman and I may give that one a try.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually was in a similar circumstance a little over a month ago. I was looking at two different certified LR4's at two different dealerships, one about 3 hours away, and wound up buying from the local one. It was more a function of vehicle color (although the LR4 3 hours away was a year newer, had 10k less miles, and probably could have been gotten for the same price), but the dealership-goodwill thing did play a small role--or, maybe that's just what I told myself to make me feel better about passing up a good deal 3 hours away.

Anyway, I wasn't informed about any dealer territory thing and I was open about the fact that I was looking at both dealerships. But maybe the dealer territory agreement doesn't cover used vehicles?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99