The Great Engine Oil Debate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I swear our second 2013 LR4 runs much quieter doing 7500 mi DIY changes with the forum recommended Mobil 1 from Walmart than our previous one did on the factory juice and interval. I think the interval matters way more than the dino lube.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I swear our second 2013 LR4 runs much quieter doing 7500 mi DIY changes with the forum recommended Mobil 1 from Walmart than our previous one did on the factory juice and interval. I think the interval matters way more than the dino lube.

Bingo. Winner.

The JLR (Ford) V8 is not some mythical powerplant than is more special than other high output power plants. The FORD 925 spec (not the later JLR specs) which was required for this engine was based on the amount of detergents in a 5W-20 viscosity oil so JLR could push out 24k km oil change intervals.

That being said I would rather do double the changes at half the mileage with a standard synthetic that costs 1/2 the price of the magical Castrol that the dealers don't even stock anymore..

adamsanta85

Reaction score

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Motul SPECIFIC 948B 5W-20 which lists our spec

Can you help me out . I don't see the Ford 925 spec anywhere on that Motul site.??

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 948B spec is compatible with 925.

The specification FORD WSS M2C 948 B is especially required for the 1.0L EcoBoost 3-cylinder Gasoline engines, but it is also fully compatible with the other FORD Gasoline engines, apart from exceptions. Therefore specification FORD WSS M2C 948 B covers most Gasoline engines currently requiring specifications FORD WSS M2C 913 A, 913 B, 913 C, or 925 A, 925 B as for JAGUAR and LAND ROVER.

This is the oil I use and change around 6k miles.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most... lol

It would nice to have something from JLR itself rather than a third party oil supplier. That being said I have been using oil that meets neither for the last ten years so what do I know lol.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only recommendation you'll get from JLR is the Gucci Castrol that also is not "officially" available to the end-consumer other than through a few websites.

Motul is probably one of the top 3 or 4 oils out there (along with Redline, Ravenol, and maybe one or two others), so I feel comfortable using them and their stated claims.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local dealer runs Pennzoil in everything they service. Pretty sure they're throwing 0W-20 in the V8's as well, but I'm not 100% confident on that one.

I've been running Mobil 1 5W-20 for 60k miles.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, Because of the 20K interval (who does that anyway?), I'm betting that this- 'Castrol Edge Extended Performance' is the same as the JLR designer oil, and can be had at half the price, and is also available in both 0W-20 and 5W-20.

And for the 0W-20 crowd there's also this- 'Liqui-Moly Special Tech LR'. Has JLR approval and states the spec right on the container (I've also seen a letter from JLR but can't find it). It's also half the price of the designer stuff at FCP Euro (may try this myself next time):

I'm sure that the quality products mentioned from Motul, Pennzoil and Mobil-1 are just as good for those that change oil on a 'sane' interval.
(With my 3k mileage, I'm yearly)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA