the LR4 19inch tire dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. How do they fit on the hubs?

EDIT: After some research, looks like BMW uses a 72.6mm bore; the same as the LR4. These could be promising.

EDIT 2: Stock LR4 wheels have a 53mm offset. Compomotives have 44mm. The BMW wheels are 40mm, so a little wider than the Compomotives, but not near as wide as the LR3 wheels plus spacers.

It worked! Details and pics here https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/just-installed-cooper-s-t-maxx-tires-on-18-bmw-wheels.30667/

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow on the Conti's so if anyone has any last-ditch advice telling me otherwise, I'd appreciate the head's up.

About 3k on the TerrainContacts here, mostly summer, I am very happy with them so far. But make sure you break them in properly, this tire takes about 700 to 800 miles to reach its sweet spot.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. How do they fit on the hubs?

EDIT: After some research, looks like BMW uses a 72.6mm bore; the same as the LR4. These could be promising.

EDIT 2: Stock LR4 wheels have a 53mm offset. Compomotives have 44mm. The BMW wheels are 40mm, so a little wider than the Compomotives, but not near as wide as the LR3 wheels plus spacers.

Hey thanks for the name calling but your research apparently didn't consider there's next to zero chance that bmw wheel is rated to the same load as an lr3 wheel. They'll do well with the poly bushings LOL.

Note that an E53 x5 weighs about 4590 vs lr4 ~5655. ~23% heavier and also likely to put much higher stresses on an lr4 wheel if ever used offroad.

Last edited:

aakempvt

Reaction score
Just put on continental terrain contacts. Very happy with them so far. Obviously the noise level is great compared to the cooper xeons which became unbearably loud but with still had a ton of tread left. No off road use yet but I think they’ll be decent for everything except the mud.
5ecc88127410f81525bd7f7b9eb75597.jpg
12e19e8e5d199f9b55500c9c2c634761.jpg
4e22428560f35e5f04bd9ad7345a1772.jpg
6e0fd3f2cd09c2a8ef004a04a23a2509.jpg

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats, looks great on that rim.

This tire requires about 700 to 800 miles of easy break-in period and you will start to feel and notice the overall difference slowly.

I've been experimenting with PSI levels on mine (19" stock size), what levels are you running on these fronts and backs?

aakempvt

Reaction score
Congrats, looks great on that rim.

This tire requires about 700 to 800 miles of easy break-in period and you will start to feel and notice the overall difference slowly.

I've been experimenting with PSI levels on mine (19" stock size), what levels are you running on these fronts and backs?

I’m running 40/42. Seems fine. I was always getting more outer tread wear on the fronts than I’d expect.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 3k on the TerrainContacts here, mostly summer, I am very happy with them so far. But make sure you break them in properly, this tire takes about 700 to 800 miles to reach its sweet spot.

those look pretty darn good. should be great in all but the worst dry conditions off road and they look like they should handle snowy slush very well too.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@manoftaste you threatened back in March to give us a review of the WRG3s and also these Contis.:itsme:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of tires. Want to get them on before I start chasing snow storms.

Was still leaning towards the Nokians for all reasons discussed. I also like the reinforced sidewall they claim to have. I do some significant low pressure riding in the summer (from one sand access to another) and I think the sidewalls would also be good when I'm running on pavement with low pressure.

Anyway, if you have more knowledge let me know. If not, I'll likely just get another set of Nokians. (I had a set on my LR3 but sold the truck before I really got to test them out)

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Todd, I was in the same situation; the lack of “verified” snow performance of the Terrain Contacts made me worried so I went with the WRG3 at the end of October.

I’ve heard good things about both but never read any complaints or problems with snow performance of the Nokia’s. I am in North Jersey and we had a storm a few weeks ago with such a slippery consistency of snow (no ice) that I don’t ever remember the driving conditions being that bad. About 5 inches but cars were sliding off the road left and right. I can attest the Nokians performed phenomenally; it took some real work to trigger the ABS and directional control remained responsive.

If snow is your main mission, then you probably want these tires again. Maybe there will be more reviews on the Conti at some point, but also keep in mind that the Nokians have the 3-peak mountain snowflake symbol and the Conti does not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72