the LR4 19inch tire dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brian, others: Notice you have Q speed rating on your tires (V recommended) and the Duratracs are only sold in Q. Any guidance on this. Seems GY had an S but no longer offer it.
I never go over 80 anyway, but that's personal preference, I like to cruise. All my fun driving which uses the tires capabilities is under 5mph.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brian, others: Notice you have Q speed rating on your tires (V recommended) and the Duratracs are only sold in Q. Any guidance on this. Seems GY had an S but no longer offer it.

The composite performance of a tire encompasses many aspects of its design. You do not need V rated tires specifically, but when other aspects of the tire are all more "marginal", you do. The Duratracs and other "off-road oriented" tires have a higher load rating and usually a thicker sidwall ply-rating as well. These factors compensate for the speed rating. When you have a street tire with a higher speed rating, what you are getting is increased heat tolerance and laterall stability, which compensate for the lower load rating. The 255/55/19 Duractrac was specifically desiged for Land Rover, so you will be fine with it (if you can still find them).

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Breaking the forum rules ;) I just posted my black Compos in the classified section.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simpletire must do a form of supply-based pricing on the Duratracs, similar to what Amazon does on some products.

A few weeks ago, they had the Duratracs priced at around $230, shipped. Now, they're $399.

Crosboro

Reaction score
If anyone has put the 19" Continental A/Ts on, can you give some input on how you like them? Thanks.

pabs406

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone! I just got a set of Duratracs installed and I can tell some differences between them to my stock Contis. First thing I noticed is that my speedo seems off. Next, is how much more I have to push on the accelerator to keep her moving, but the major thing I noticed is the slight shimmy it has at higher speeds. I’m thinking it could be the air pressure or maybe the tires are just breaking in. I’ve driven about 80 miles so far. I will try deflating the tires from the stock recommendation. Hope that helps.

I plan to take her to a small trail tomorrow. I mean that’s what she’s made for anyways, right? I paid $1120 installed at Americas Tire.

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone! I just got a set of Duratracs installed and I can tell some differences between them to my stock Contis. First thing I noticed is that my speedo seems off. Next, is how much more I have to push on the accelerator to keep her moving, but the major thing I noticed is the slight shimmy it has at higher speeds. I’m thinking it could be the air pressure or maybe the tires are just breaking in. I’ve driven about 80 miles so far. I will try deflating the tires from the stock recommendation. Hope that helps.

I plan to take her to a small trail tomorrow. I mean that’s what she’s made for anyways, right? I paid $1120 installed at Americas Tire.

I think its important to break the new tires in properly for the maximum performance out of them that they really were designed for. I myself just got a new set installed and am noticing and could already tell the slight difference in their behavior/performance after only about 150 miles on them.

Generally tire manufacturers recommend 500 to 700 miles of proper break-in period with easy acceleration, no hard braking and cornering, while some even recommend (as I remember reading somewhere) going no more than 50 mph during the break-in process.

Here is what Continental and Nokian recommend:

http://www.continentaltire.com/news/pair-shoes-tires-need-broken-too

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=5&

And in a review for Conti' new TerrainContact, the following was observed by the reviewers as they had a slight mishap while trying to make a quick exit off the freeway:

"When you first slap on a new set of tires you will instantly feel a difference in your handling. One thing we noticed was that it took about 500-750 miles for these tires to really break in."

Here is the full review:

http://bustedwallet.com/continental-terraincontact-at-review/

I think a lot of it has to with marketing/PR, etc too. In our world of impatience and "I want it now!", I am sure most tire manufacturers do not really want to highlight this fact to their customers that the real performance, safety, and stability out of their products will really kick in after five hundred miles or so of driving and that they should drive slower than normal speeds with added restrictions on their normal driving style. Nobody wants to hear and do that. But I do think that people should really know about this, not just for maximum performance and comfort, but more importantly for safety reasons as new tires really have less grip and you could easily feel that as you turn the steering wheel even while parked.

Crosboro

Reaction score
After a lot of thought, dropped the idea of the Duratracs/Zeons/TerrrainContacts. I have an LR2, and everyone I talked to said they were too wide and could rub. Not wanting to spend $1k and have them not work out, went with BFGoodrich Advantage T/A, 245/55R19. Got them at Discount Tire--the guy I worked with looked for quite some time to find them. Interestingly, none of the tire web sites show the tire in 19" unless you enter the size. $162 per tire, but with their refund/replacement g'tee, disposal, mounting, life maintenance, total was $867. Will be interesting to see how they work out.

Kbutler1

Reaction score
Recently outfitted mine with DuraTracs, ordered a 5th as well to give myself a full size spare. Love them so far. Didn't really notice that big of a difference from the stock that I had on.

Crosboro

Reaction score
These are the BFGoodrich tires I bought
IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member