the LR4 19inch tire dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have got about three months and 2k miles on my WRG3 SUV and want to write my observations here in detail so others in the market for something like this could benefit.

Since its a bit of a unique tire in nature in that its really a high speed rated, high performance winter tire but still with the severe service emblem (and with Nokian' Aramid sidewall tech, which I think would give the tire some light offroad durability vs regular all-season) and could be left on all year round, making it a perfect choice for someone like me here in socal where I deal with at least two hundred of high speed highway miles of dry run (round trip) before reaching the crazy wintry conditions up in the mountains, I thought I asked you guys if I should write my review here or use one of the following existing threads, for organizations sake, as there have been multiple tire threads here with me being guilty of contributing to that :) :

http://www.landroverworld.org/threa...in-relatively-warmer-temperature-areas.28809/

http://www.landroverworld.org/threa...d-this-much-impact-on-the-ride-quality.29186/

Went with the stock 255/55/19 config. Having them mounted a bit late in winter, january this year to be exact, and hence missing a good part of last year' winter, so far I have had the opportunity to experience this tire under a decent range of temps/conditions within a compressed window of three and a half months: 70-80F (dry and rainy wet days) to 30-25F (dry runs, rain, and some snow) both city and highway speeds of up to 75-80 mph, including some time on lightly winding mountain roads.

As soon as I am directed which thread to put my review in, I will go ahead, thanks.

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, after much research, I have just installed the Contis TerrainContacts yesterday for my light off roading/trail/dirt/gravel road, etc needs. Stuck to the stock 255/55/19.

I know some of us here, including me, have been waiting for the reviews of this tire with our LR3/4 to come in for quite some time but there is practically nothing out there. So I will be more than happy to contribute my initial thoughts/observations about this tire on my '16, following your lead as to which thread to use, and then possibly continue the review after piling some miles on them.

Pix to follow soon.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as I am directed which thread to put my review in, I will go ahead, thanks.

Personally I think this thread is as good as any other especially since you're talking about 19" size. Plus, if anyone in the future is searching specifically for Nokian WRG3's, they should be able to easily find your post regardless of which tire thread it goes into.

As a fan of the WRG3, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and seeing if they matched or diverged from my experience.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am considering the Terrain Contacts for my wifes RR, so I will be waiting to read as well. She has the Duratracs now and while they have been nice tires (smooth, good grip, even wear, good looks), they are insanely loud now that they have 25,000 miles on them, and they look like they could go another 10,000 but I am not going to go past this fall so she has fresh tires for winter. The indy shop went underneath checking for wheel bearing issues because they are so loud.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have got about three months and 2k miles on my WRG3 SUV and want to write my observations here in detail so others in the market for something like this could benefit.

Since its a bit of a unique tire in nature in that its really a high speed rated, high performance winter tire but still with the severe service emblem (and with Nokian' Aramid sidewall tech, which I think would give the tire some light offroad durability vs regular all-season) and could be left on all year round, making it a perfect choice for someone like me here in socal where I deal with at least two hundred of high speed highway miles of dry run (round trip) before reaching the crazy wintry conditions up in the mountains, I thought I asked you guys if I should write my review here or use one of the following existing threads, for organizations sake, as there have been multiple tire threads here with me being guilty of contributing to that :) :

http://www.landroverworld.org/threa...in-relatively-warmer-temperature-areas.28809/

http://www.landroverworld.org/threa...d-this-much-impact-on-the-ride-quality.29186/

Went with the stock 255/55/19 config. Having them mounted a bit late in winter, january this year to be exact, and hence missing a good part of last year' winter, so far I have had the opportunity to experience this tire under a decent range of temps/conditions within a compressed window of three and a half months: 70-80F (dry and rainy wet days) to 30-25F (dry runs, rain, and some snow) both city and highway speeds of up to 75-80 mph, including some time on lightly winding mountain roads.

the suspense is killing us

HuskerBred

Reaction score
I'm also in the market for new tires. Does anyone have any experience with Vredestein Quatrac 5? I'm down to 4-5 different tires and these came up as well rated. I'm looking for an all season/all weather tire for mainly on road use, low noise, high comfort, that handles well. I'm moving from the stock Conti's so from what I hear, just about anything is an improvement. The other tires I'm considering are Nokian WRG3, Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus, Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season and the Firestone Destination. I've also toyed with trying a no-name brand my local shop carries, Antares Comfort 5, based just on price. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi