the LR4 19inch tire dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, great tire but the Q speed rating on Duratrac is a total deal breaker for me. Not often but occasionally if needed I step on it. So would like to continue maintaining the flexibility of being able to go fast if needed or the situation calls for it.

So as of now the new conti Terrain Contact is looking good to me. What do yo guys think? That tire should still be good for some light off roading, mohave dirt roads with sharp small rocks etc, correct? I mean should be better off road than the stock contis anyways.

I really would love to order them soon but really should wait for some feedback data to trickle in. The thing is that the current stock contis are really so bad from day one (and they currently have less than 3k miles on them) that I'd love to switch asap.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife routinely drives over 100mph in her RR with the 255/55/19 Duratrac tires with no issues (thankfully!). She has about 15,000 miles on them now and they are a little bit louder than when new for sure. She does not care, I find the noise a little intrusive, but not terrible. The RR is quieter inside than my LR3, so I would think they would be even louder on my vehicle. I am not sure how much quieter the LR4 became over the LR3. Noise is a very subjective thing, so everyone rates noise levels differently.

wyrover

Reaction score
Thanks, wyrover.

So how come the tire does not show up in the list when i put in LR4 in their online system?
I believe it has to do with the speed rating of the tire. I'm sure the tires in their search engine need to meet certain parameters in order to show up in the listing.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it has to do with the speed rating of the tire. I'm sure the tires in their search engine need to meet certain parameters in order to show up in the listing.

Yeah that could be it.

Also I noticed that the description on that link that wyrover posted it says that the tire has snow/mountain symbol with the exception of 255/55/19 (the one i need :) Whats up with that?

Amazes me that the bean counters/marketers/suits at LR (cuz I am damn sure it cannot be the engineers' choice) picked such an odd wheel size for one of the most capable off road vehicles on the planet. "How could we make it more pleasing to the eyes of the soccer moms?". To hell with the drivers who want to use the thing what it was designed for.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The silent armors do just ok in snow and not great on ice FYI. They are winter snowflake rated, but they are not anything close to as good as the Blizzak DM-V2 that I put on my 19" wheels.

I thought they stopped making the silent armors. The wrangler all terrain adventure tires are the next version of them I think.. but not exactly the same.

My ideal setup will be Blizzaks on my OEM 19" in stock size and 265/65R18 KO2 on my compos. Just have to wear out my silent armors first... which is taking a long damn time. I may actually wear out a sidewall or mess them up off road long before the tread goes. I already had to re-mount them and flip the sidewalls because I had beat them up so badly on one side.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that could be it.

Also I noticed that the description on that link that wyrover posted it says that the tire has snow/mountain symbol with the exception of 255/55/19 (the one i need :) Whats up with that?.

I asked Goodyear this question and they said this tire was specifically made for Land Rover, so I suspect it has something to do with the compound used and what they were after when they requested it. However, the same 255/55/19 tire sold in other locations (such as Scotland) that is made in the same German plant IS snowflake rated. Go figure. So far we have had no issues in winter weather.

Kerrie

Reaction score
Ok. Finally think I have narrowed down to 2. Duratracs or ContactTerrain? These need to be my snow tires til they wear out. In the mean time, I need them to be quiet, good on rocky trails, and highway. Safe too since I have a kiddo. I feel like I'm asking too much!! Lol

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, catman. Could be the compound etc.

Kerrie, if you end up going with the ContactTerrain, would love some pix and your feedback and first impressions. Cant wait to get rid of my stock contis even with only 3k miles. They are feeling a little better now only because temps here are a bit warmer lately.

Kerrie

Reaction score
Will do! Just ordered a full set of the TerrainContacts! I'll post a pic when they are on

The _Just

Reaction score
275/65 18 Duratrac on compos on a '13 LR4. Minor rubbing.
039aacee86e532cc617208b76cd1543a.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA