Toyo Open Country AT II Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently sold my '13 RR HSE and I needed a more aggressive tire for my recently purchased, mostly deblinged, F150 Platinum. In the pickup world, everybody is raving about this tire. There are several different 18" variants for you guys running the smaller wheels and the 275/55/20 would be a good fit for those running the stock wheels. This 275/55/20 seems to be the std. size for all fullsize pickups, Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions etc. It's 31.9" tall, and I think it might be a good fit for the LR4. There are some larger 20" sizes, although I don't know if they would work...

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sold your new 2013 RR - wow! How did you like it while you had it? I love the F150 Platinum, it's quite nice. I love the King Ranch Edition trucks.

I think these tires are the ones that Kaaae has on his LR4 with Compomotives?

I believe Umberto has Toyos, but not the Open Country.

As you may have seen in the other thread, I just purchased Compomotives and trying to narrow down my tire option, I'm considering: BF Goodrich ATs, Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor, and these Toyos.

-David

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

The RR was great... I am going to wait and see what the LR5 looks like in the spring, summer, or I may order a RR s/c. I have had a hankering for a pickup for quite a while, so I decided to get one. The used market for '13 RR's is pretty good right now, so... Here are a couple of lame cell phone pics of the before/after deblinging. I'm not actually done, but I think these wheels/tires really help.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, This is exactly what I run and love them!

This is just after a bath!

Attachments

• IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 138

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, This is exactly what I run and love them!

This is just after a bath!
Hi Kaae,

I just ordered compomotive wheels and trying to decide on tires.
I am looking at 265/65R18
1. BFG AT K/O
2. Goodyear Silent armor
3. Toyo Open country AT II ( yours)

What size is your tire?. Did you have to do any mods to the wheel wells? How difficult was to fit the spare tire under the truck. Any rubbing present?
Why did you chose toyos over BFGs and Goodyears?
For Arizona trails, sidewall strength and puncture resistant are the most important factors in my selection. Traction in heavy mud or snow is not on my priority list.
Would you recommend your tires for my driving conditions?
Thanks in advance.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Kaae,

I just ordered compomotive wheels and trying to decide on tires.
I am looking at 265/65R18
1. BFG AT K/O
2. Goodyear Silent armor
3. Toyo Open country AT II ( yours)

What size is your tire?. Did you have to do any mods to the wheel wells? How difficult was to fit the spare tire under the truck. Any rubbing present?
For Arizona trails, sidewall strength and puncture resistant are the most important factors in my selection. Traction in heavy mud or snow is not on my priority list.
Thanks in advance.
We are in the exact same boat (no pun intended in regards to this post), my friend. Your list of three (3) possible tires is the same as mine and I have the same concerns as you. If I miss a post, please keep me posted and I will let you know what I find.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Umberto has Toyos, but not the Open Country.

Actually I have Yokohama Geolandar AT-S (275/60R18), great tires. Not the most aggressive tread out there, but plenty good enough for me (some rock crawling, but mostly dirt and sand, and lots of dry and wet pavement. I wanted something capable, but quiet and comfortable as this is my daily driver and office on wheels.) They are only 31" in diameter, so you do give up a .5-1" in sidewall protection. However, they don't rub anywhere regardless of height / steering / compression and the spare fits fully inflated - I still removed the heat shield.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I have Yokohama Geolandar AT-S (275/60R18), great tires. Not the most aggressive tread out there, but plenty good enough for me (some rock crawling, but mostly dirt and sand, and lots of dry and wet pavement. I wanted something capable, but quiet and comfortable as this is my daily driver and office on wheels.) They are only 31" in diameter, so you do give up a .5-1" in sidewall protection. However, they don't rub anywhere regardless of height / steering / compression and the spare fits fully inflated - I still removed the heat shield.
Ah, yes! I actually realized that later when I was looking at pictures of your truck to compare the satin black to the more semi-gloss on the black design package. I think it goes well and looks great. I love my 19" black wheels, but they are a little bit too shiny, so the satin Comps should look quite nice.

Do you think there are any potential issues with removing the heat shield? I am thinking more if I go with a 265/65R18 and the tire is slightly bigger. Though, this may be a mute point because I may just throw the tire on my roof rack - it's full of stuff anyway.

Thanks a lot!

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with an oversized tire and without heat shield under my "ex" RRS for over 5 years and never experienced any issues with heat from the exhaust pipes affecting the integrity of the spare tire - or anything else down there in any way... I don't even know why they bother putting a heat shield honestly, must be for aerodynamic / wind noise / safety reasons perhaps. Regardless, you won't miss it if you decide to remove it.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Kaae,
Thanks in advance.

I have a 285/60/18.
I didn't have to but I am running a LLAMS height mod to give me more flexibility in driving heights for on and off the road. No wheel wel modifications and very slight rubbing at full lock.
I choose the them because of aggressive look and sidewalk tread.
You might want to look at something with Kevlar for sidewall protection. Most of my off-road driving is either loose sand or mud. Deed sticky mud. I am actually thinking of moving to a MT and going bigger next.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9